Premed 101 Forums

They are not very transparent with regards to selection criteria, but my assumption at least is that it is mostly need based. They do ask a lot of questions related to this (e.g. they need a property value assessment of your parent(s) house). I don't feel comfortable going into too many details, but parental income was in the lowest income tax bracket. cGPA was around 3.94, and my MCAT was 521.

The criteria is a bit frustrating. I'm an older student who's been out of school for some time, and I paid my own way through grad school and would be doing the same for med. I'm personally low-income (like <20k a year) but my parents are comfortably middle-class so I assume that I won't be selected. It's frustrating since they seem to assume that everyone's parents help them pay for school which isn't the case.

Anyways, I know that this doesn't answer your question @notagunner - just wanted to vent! haha

Good luck!

@Applicant95 This is just a hunch, but the assumption might be that if your parents are middle/upper class, then you would have grown up with the advantages of a middle/upper class student, which helps with getting scholarships for undergrad, maybe them paying for undergrad, etc. A multiplication of privileges in a sense. But I agree, it's definitely not a perfect system! E.g. parental income could be low now, but was high for many years, or maybe some students have other family members that have supported them, and so on.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:39 PM, Applicant95 said:

The criteria is a bit frustrating. I'm an older student who's been out of school for some time, and I paid my own way through grad school and would be doing the same for med. I'm personally low-income (like <20k a year) but my parents are comfortably middle-class so I assume that I won't be selected. It's frustrating since they seem to assume that everyone's parents help them pay for school which isn't the case.

Anyways, I know that this doesn't answer your question @notagunner - just wanted to vent! haha

Good luck!

You are not accurate in assuming you will not be considered and I strongly encourage you to apply if you believe you would benefit from the Schulich Scholarship.