Premed 101 Forums

Affects of COVID-19 on course grades

With the COVID-19 circumstances, UBC and many other post-secondary schools across Canada are implementing a Credit/d/fail option for courses. What are your thoughts on choosing this option instead of grading the courses? Do you think UBC medicine will look negatively upon this option, or do you think it is understandable given the circumstances with this pandemic?

My understanding is that UBC medicine wants to see candidates excelling in courses with a full-course load, while taking ECs. If it doesn't come from this semester (or year),  I think it will need to be shown in another year. In general, medical schools would like to see your grades.

Having said that, this semester is likely going to be an exception. But evidence of doing well with a full-course load has to show up somewhere from I understand.

16 hours ago, Pterygoid said:

My understanding is that UBC medicine wants to see candidates excelling in courses with a full-course load, while taking ECs. If it doesn't come from this semester (or year),  I think it will need to be shown in another year. In general, medical schools would like to see your grades.

Having said that, this semester is likely going to be an exception. But evidence of doing well with a full-course load has to show up somewhere from I understand.

May I ask where you heard that?I took 4 classes most of the way through and am currently waiting to see if I got accepted. Would be very disheartening to know I didn’t even really have a shot. I think there is more to it than just a full load.

59 minutes ago, mdpwns1763 said:

May I ask where you heard that?I took 4 classes most of the way through and am currently waiting to see if I got accepted. Would be very disheartening to know I didn’t even really have a shot. I think there is more to it than just a full load.

Check their FAQ - here's a snippet:

713272667_ScreenShot2020-03-24at11_16_08AM.png.6d5c0893127570f344f4b2bc20bd6f43.png

13 hours ago, mdpwns1763 said:

It's not that you wouldn't have a shot, but it might be a weak area of your application when compared to others who took a full course load. That said, I'm sure many others have been admitted with only taking 4 courses a year.

what do u guys think will happen if I Pass/fail my Biochemistry course?

As it is a requirement for both UBC and U Manitoba would it affect my application negatively?

(They are re-weighting the course and cancelling the final exam , I would not be able to get good mark at the end)

any thought?

(I also emailed them several times this week, no response yet, If anyone emailed and got a response about the same situation, let me know please!!)

1 hour ago, titikam said:

what do u guys think will happen if I Pass/fail my Biochemistry course?

As it is a requirement for both UBC and U Manitoba would it affect my application negatively?

(They are re-weighting the course and cancelling the final exam , I would not be able to get good mark at the end)

any thought?

(I also emailed them several times this week, no response yet, If anyone emailed and got a response about the same situation, let me know please!!)

Biochemistry is not required for UBC. But either way, given everything that is occurring with COVID i really don't think a couple pass/fail courses this semester will hurt you. 

5 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Biochemistry is not required for UBC. But either way, given everything that is occurring with COVID i really don't think a couple pass/fail courses this semester will hurt you. 

From what I see from the website they need 6 credits of biochem. I'm just struggling to see if I keep the A- or Pass/fail this course. I can retake the course but that would be a torture. 

Thanks anyways 

10 minutes ago, titikam said:

From what I see from the website they need 6 credits of biochem. I'm just struggling to see if I keep the A- or Pass/fail this course. I can retake the course but that would be a torture. 

Thanks anyways 

Prerequisite courses, aside from 6 credits of English, we eliminated in the 2017/2018 application cycle. I don't know where you're finding different information, but the UBC website states this pretty clearly. https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/

Biochemistry is 'strongly recommended' but I can tell you that lots of people (including myself) have been admitted with little or no biochemistry in the last several years.  I understand the concern about taking a pass/fail on a strongly recommended course. But COVID is messing everything up, I really don't think it's going to hurt you in this particular instance. Everything is upside down. 

5 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Prerequisite courses, aside from 6 credits of English, we eliminated in the 2017/2018 application cycle. I don't know where you're finding different information, but the UBC website states this pretty clearly. https://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/admission-requirements/

Biochemistry is 'strongly recommended' but I can tell you that lots of people (including myself) have been admitted with little or no biochemistry in the last several years.  I understand the concern about taking a pass/fail on a strongly recommended course. But COVID is messing everything up, I really don't think it's going to hurt you in this particular instance. Everything is upside down. 

oops sorry I thought this is UBC dentistry forum.

Thanks