Premed 101 Forums

IMG Matching

Hello, sorry if this has been discussed before.

i was looking to get some information if possible about matching for IMG(born and trained overseas). i have been reading and there is so much mixed information, i attempted to search these forums but didn't find much. how hard is it for an IMG to match in Canada? some stats say 20% match per year but others say less than 5%.

any advice for people looking to match?

The match rate for all IMGs who get to the interview stage is about 20%. The percentage is much lower if you consider the entire applicant pool. Of the IMGs who match, about 2/3rds are actually CSAs (Canadians who studied abroad), and 1/3rd are true IMGs (born and trained overseas).

The conventional way to match is to first meet cutoffs on the relevant exams, and then do well on your interview(s). Canadian clinical experience and letters of reference are helpful, but not absolutely necessary. I had none, and still matched to my first choice. Full disclosure, I am a CSA.

What I mentioned just now is the traditional way to match. Some countries have agreements with the Canadian government for training residents, who are then expected to return and provide service to their home countries.

As you need to be a PR or citizen to do residency, IMG residents are usually CSAs, or people with previous training in their home country who have immigrated to Canada and are seeking certification. Most programs will selectively interview candidates who already have a connection to Canada and are planning to practice here. Also many IMG spots have a return of service requirement. Conversely, in the US with the visa option, many IMGs are looking to train then return to their previous country, which is an option there.

38 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

As you need to be a PR or citizen to do residency, IMG residents are usually CSAs, or people with previous training in their home country who have immigrated to Canada and are seeking certification. Most programs will selectively interview candidates who already have a connection to Canada and are planning to practice here. Also many IMG spots have a return of service requirement. Conversely, in the US with the visa option, many IMGs are looking to train then return to their previous country, which is an option there.

Actually, the last time i looked into workforce studies on this topic(2 years ago), most FMGs looking to train in the US are hoping to stay and build a new life..by utilizing the various different visa-waiver programs, green card pathways etc to stay.    If you think about it, most aren't coming from Iran, India and China to train in FM/IM/Gen surg etc in Podunk USA to then just go back. They could have done similar training back home. They are going through all the expensive USMLES/time-sinks in exam prep.. doing it for the chance at a better life with higher income than what back home would afford.  

I guess that should be "some", then, just trying to contrast with Canada. I agree than many IMGs from abroad want to go to the US with hopes of staying, but I was also referring to the many doctors from "well off" countries in Europe, and here in Canada, who go for residency/fellowship for additional training with the plan to return.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 9:23 PM, bearded frog said:

I guess that should be "some", then, just trying to contrast with Canada. I agree than many IMGs from abroad want to go to the US with hopes of staying, but I was also referring to the many doctors from "well off" countries in Europe, and here in Canada, who go for residency/fellowship for additional training with the plan to return.

'Plan-to' becomes irrelevant when your status runs out on a J-1 and you have to return.