Premed 101 Forums

Moving to Ottawa

Super excited to be coming to Ottawa for residency! 

Few questions:

- Where do residents/med students generally live?

- What is the best renting/housing option to reach the two hospitals?

- What mode of transportation do most people use to get to the Civic/General hospitals?

- Is a car used by most?

- For surgical rotations which start early in the morning, do you resort to cars or are there buses?

- For those who also moved to Ontario from another province, what logistics should I be aware of? I know I have to change my driver's license, health card. What are the other things I need to prepare or be aware of? What "surprised" you in your move?

17 minutes ago, Matched said:

Super excited to be coming to Ottawa for residency! 

Few questions:

- Where do residents/med students generally live?

- What is the best renting/housing option to reach the two hospitals?

- What mode of transportation do most people use to get to the Civic/General hospitals?

- Is a car used by most?

- For surgical rotations which start early in the morning, do you resort to cars or are there buses?

- For those who also moved to Ontario from another province, what logistics should I be aware of? I know I have to change my driver's license, health card. What are the other things I need to prepare or be aware of? What "surprised" you in your move?

It varies where people live - most live closer to the civic hospital/downtown as there is more "going on" - there really isn't much at the general site ha. 

People do drive quite a bit - but there are buses of course that get to the hospital and those were early enough my surgery rotations (including neuro-surg ha). 

There is shuttle between the two hospitals that can help with getting between them. 

Knowing your schedule for the year can help - I found out that 11/13 of my rotations were at the general so I actually did live beside that hospital in year one (with all the early rotations ha). That was quite useful but later I did move to be closer to the civic. Radiology as it happens is pretty evenly between both sites. 

• 1 month later...

- Where do residents/med students generally live? I know of Freedom private, look it up it is a neighborhood right beside the Ottawa hospital general campus and Roger Guindon hall which is the medicine faculty. There is a free shuttle from TOH general campus and civic campus. 

- What is the best renting/housing option to reach the two hospitals? For medical students, the choice is again Freedom private (maybe for residents too but I am not sure). There is a complete housing list sent to newly accepted med students compiled by current med students, you can ask uOttawa med student admissions for this list (even if you are a resident and not a med student!). 

- What mode of transportation do most people use to get to the Civic/General hospitals? If you live beside the hospital, the inter-campus shuttle should be enough, and perhaps a car to go around the city to other destinations.

- Is a car used by most? Sorry, I am a med student so I do not know!

- For surgical rotations which start early in the morning, do you resort to cars or are there buses? Intercampus shuttle leaves as early as 6/6:30, but maybe you need to leave even earlier which means car is the better option. 

- For those who also moved to Ontario from another province, what logistics should I be aware of? I know I have to change my driver's license, health card. What are the other things I need to prepare or be aware of? What "surprised" you in your move? I unfortunately cannot help.

I hope I helped a bit!

Mr Duck