Premed 101 Forums

McGill 2020 Waitlist Support Thread

Osler

Posting here because there seems to be a high number of applicants that are waitlisted compared to previous years. I wanted to make a thread to collate spots, discuss why the waitlist has gone so high this year and hopefully updates when the waitlist get's moving.

Feel free to chime in!

15 hours ago, Theprocess said:

Waitlist #--MTL #35, OUT #14

Pre-req GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 509

Year: 1st Year MSc

IP/OOP/International: IP

I’m surprised how big the waitlist is this year. But also not sure how big McGill’s waitlist is usually haha. I’m not feeling too confident with my rank :/

Based off previous years, i've only heard people put on the waitlist go as high as 50, but seeing numbers in the 90s is something different for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Koldora said:

Anyone have any idea as to why the wait list for ip is huge this year? also does anyone know how many people is mcgill accepting for both Montreal and Outaouais? 

I believe this information was in the campus selection form?

10 hours ago, MCattt said:

I'm rank #20 OOP and I'm not feeling hopeful considering there are only 11 spots.

Things might be different this year and this isn't meant to break anyone's spirits, but historically 19-25 people (both OOP and IP) declined their offer 

On page 32 https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

I'm #5 (OOP). This is my first cycle. I was initially feeling really, really optimistic because of this thread: 

People on that thread seemed to suggest that the OOP waitlist generally moves to around position 15. However, based on the link that @MCattt posted, that seems unlikely since only 19-25 people *in total* (both IP and OOP) generally decline their offer. I'm not sure how to reconcile this disparity, since both can't be true! When I saw #5, I pretty much assumed that I would eventually get in based on the thread I posted, but now I'm not so sure :(

FYI:

Waitlist movement varies by year for obvious reasons. However, for IP it usually is ballpark of 15-20+ spot movement in previous years. Last year ~24 people got in from the waitlist, the year before ~28.

For OOP I don't remember but the movement is usually ~10-15 spots on average but can be more too.

All things considered, this year for IP there are two campuses and that may change the movement of the waitlists, that is to be seen.

Good luck!

@FriendlyApple, I saw the same thing on the website. For the Montreal Campus, on the 25th, it says number 1 for the next offer... I have no idea how it could already be at number 8? Maybe because of the 2 campuses? Or offers out at other universities? Its weird!! I am 34 on the wailist so not a lot of chance of getting in but if its true we are aready at 8, we never know... Were are you on the waitlist?

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:05 PM, Osler said:

Posting here because there seems to be a high number of applicants that are waitlisted compared to previous years. I wanted to make a thread to collate spots, discuss why the waitlist has gone so high this year and hopefully updates when the waitlist get's moving.

Feel free to chime in!

@Osler, did you get on offer as you were number 1 on the Mtl WL??

18 minutes ago, Lilirose said:

@pnpclear, maybe other canadian schools? This movement seems unusual if I look at other WL threads from previous years.

The schools I know for sure send offers in May are: Calgary, Alberta, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Sherbrooke. From my understanding, almost all schools release decisions in May. I don't know why the waitlist is so mobile...

On 3/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, Theprocess said:

I’m surprised how big the waitlist is this year. But also not sure how big McGill’s waitlist is usually haha. I’m not feeling too confident with my rank :/

Do you know if we will see the waitlist move reflected in our number on Minerva? I am IP #73 (so its more than likely I'll reapply next year) But I wonder how we can tell

On 3/25/2020 at 10:57 PM, Theprocess said:

highly likely you'd get into the OUT campus!!

7 hours ago, premedubc101 said:

I'm so genuinely happy for everyone that got in off the waitlist. 

But so confused why 8 people would reject their offer without getting another one loool. Oh well. 

Looking forward to seeing all of you soon <3

You must be so excited. I am too!!!

Some people were already accepted elsewhere in Canada, but not in QC! ;)

I feel so happy for all of you!! Congrats!!