Premed 101 Forums

McGill 2020 Waitlist Support Thread

Osler

58 minutes ago, Theprocess said:

I don’t know much about the selection process that McGill is doing for Med-P but does Med-P usually have a waitlist?

The McGill website is saying that it’s closed this year :/ could this be the reason the waitlist for MDCM is going so high? 

Of course Med-P has a waitlist... it's closed because it has not yet opened. It will open as of May 13th when they send out the offers.

@premedubc101 @Moonlight2 @premedubc

Despite not working in admissions, from my understanding, the waitlist shifted 24 spots because they actually admitted an additional 24 students. Perhaps they finalized negotiations with reference to the number of seats this year, in consideration of the new campus. There is no other plausible explanation as Wednesday's admits have 2 weeks to make their decisions. On top of this, I believe only one other Canadian Medical School (Western Canada) has released its offers.

21 minutes ago, giraffe3 said:

Despite not working in admissions, from my understanding, the waitlist shifted 7 spots because they admitted an additional 7 students on Friday. Perhaps they finalized negotiations with reference to the number of seats this year, in consideration of the new campus. There is no other plausible explanation as Wednesday's admits have 2 weeks to make their decisions. On top of this, I believe only one other Canadian Medical School has released its offers.

That would make sense, yes. But why would they have offered around 90 something waitlist spots only for MTL this year in the first place?

2 hours ago, giraffe3 said:

Despite not working in admissions, from my understanding, the waitlist shifted 7 spots because they admitted an additional 7 students on Friday. Perhaps they finalized negotiations with reference to the number of seats this year, in consideration of the new campus. There is no other plausible explanation as Wednesday's admits have 2 weeks to make their decisions. On top of this, I believe only one other Canadian Medical School (Western Canada) has released its offers.

I believe you are correct in that assumption. We were told during the interview that they are trying to negotiate with the government to increase spots for the new campus because right now OUT only had 4 spots for MDCM. This makes the most sense because I don't see how 7 people would reject the offer on day 1 given only 1 medschool has given out offers so far and its not from Montreal. 

I guess COVID19 definitely had an impact on the government showing them that we do need more doctors. 

Many schools in the states are letting their 4th years graduate early amd join the fight against Covid19. 

I hope all of u stay safe and so do ur families during these difficult times. <3

I think its great that they accepted more people. More friends for me to make. Hahaha <3 

And that might also be true for people to find out their rank earlier rather than later. Excellent speculation, I must say. 

Lastly, I think the waitlist is high because of the preference. Maybe someone does get into OUT or MTL but didn't want to go to THAT particular campus over Laval/Sherbrooke or Udem, so right now they might not have a clue as to how the waitlist would function and because this is their first year they are trying to learn, amd next year it might be more in tune with the proper waitlist number. 

I know it can be hard guys. I was waitlisted last year and did not get in. Hang in there. I am sooo happy and I hope all of you get to experience this feeling too. Much love and prayer from my family and I for all you <3

2 hours ago, giraffe3 said:

Despite not working in admissions, from my understanding, the waitlist shifted 7 spots because they admitted an additional 7 students on Friday. Perhaps they finalized negotiations with reference to the number of seats this year, in consideration of the new campus. There is no other plausible explanation as Wednesday's admits have 2 weeks to make their decisions. On top of this, I believe only one other Canadian Medical School (Western Canada) has released its offers.

If they agreed to increase the number of seats in Outaouais, wouldn't we have seen a movement of the Outaouais waitlist instead of Montreal? 

59 minutes ago, Lilirose said:

The WL is progressing very fast!! I am really wondering why!!

It's the question of the year ( other than the question where Sars-cov-2 really originated from) haha. 

I still don't think I have a chance, but I'm happy it is moving fast :)

31 minutes ago, MEDusa said:

It's the question of the year ( other than the question where Sars-cov-2 really originated from) haha. 

I still don't think I have a chance, but I'm happy it is moving fast :)

I think you should be more hopeful!  At least for the Outaouais campus :)

Plus, the waitlist will be moving just as much in May when the rest of Canada releases its decisions. If the trend from previous years continue, and in addition to the current unprecedented movement, the waitlist should move at least to 40 for the Montreal  campus, if not more!

2 hours ago, jeebee said:

I think you should be more hopeful!  At least for the Outaouais campus :)

Plus, the waitlist will be moving just as much in May when the rest of Canada releases its decisions. If the trend from previous years continue, and in addition to the current unprecedented movement, the waitlist should move at least to 40 for the Montreal  campus, if not more!

MDsx0S6g.jpg

Can someone explain this to me -if there’s only 4 spots at OUTA for MDCM candidates (ie university level), how come the wait list went so far for OUTA (currently at #13)? Does this mean these 4 spots haven’t been filled yet? or that we have more than 4 spots for MDCM? 

8 minutes ago, wlals said:

Can someone explain this to me -if there’s only 4 spots at OUTA for MDCM candidates (ie university level), how come the wait list went so far for OUTA (currently at #13)? Does this mean these 4 spots haven’t been filled yet? or that we have more than 4 spots for MDCM? 

It most likely means that the 12 people that were moved from the OUTA waitlist, where also in the mtl waitlist and they were moved by default.