Premed 101 Forums

UWO online interviews - pre-record?

1 hour ago, inininini said:

any chance western sends out conditional acceptances and make us write the phys exam at a later date? 

Is the physiology exam usually before they send out acceptances? I always thought it was a “conditional” acceptance. But I am really really really not sure lol i am asking because if in the past years the exam was schedule before they send out their final decisions then we will hear later this year compared to other years (I am assuming they haven’t even schedule the physiology exam yet, right?)

6 minutes ago, dental0550 said:

Is the physiology exam usually before they send out acceptances? I always thought it was a “conditional” acceptance. But I am really really really not sure lol i am asking because if in the past years the exam was schedule before they send out their final decisions then we will hear later this year compared to other years (I am assuming they haven’t even schedule the physiology exam yet, right?)

So usually, the exam is on interview weekend. The exam originally was scheduled for April 4th, and interview for the April 5th. They rescheduled the exam for a later date (not known) and carried out interviews online on the 4th. So, I'm assuming if they still want to send out acceptances by April 24/25, then it may be conditional acceptances for the people that need to write the phys exam?

1 hour ago, dmd12 said:

Anyone know how Western calculates your average? My university only uses a 4.0 scale. My GPA for the best two years is 3.98

From my understanding: 

A+ = 95% 

A = 87% 

A- = 82% 

etc. 

I believe they just take the middle of each percentage category for each letter grade, if that makes sense (A+ = 90-100%, A = 85 -89%....) 

I'm not 100% sure though 

4 hours ago, inininini said:

So usually, the exam is on interview weekend. The exam originally was scheduled for April 4th, and interview for the April 5th. They rescheduled the exam for a later date (not known) and carried out interviews online on the 4th. So, I'm assuming if they still want to send out acceptances by April 24/25, then it may be conditional acceptances for the people that need to write the phys exam?

Either that, or acceptances might be delayed into May :(

24 minutes ago, CoolJellyBean said:

I wonder if they will schedule the Exam before May? I feel like that might be short notice considering a lot of students have finals during that time... I hope they cancel it honestly LOL. Any chances of that happening??? 

It's definitely a possibility!!!

I also think they might offer an "conditional acceptance" and schedule the exam whenever think sorts out (hopefully before school starts in September), and then if you don't pass the exam or don't meet whatever required grade is, they will offer the spot to the waitlist. That's my guess!

An update from the Schulich website:

Statement to Current and Prospective Applicants Regarding Covid-19  

We hope that you and your loved ones are keeping well through this challenging time. We understand that along with all of the uncertainty, the current situation provides added concern for you about the effects this could have on your current or future application to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) Program at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. 

Please be assured that we are carefully deliberating with our Admissions Committee and putting together a plan. This plan will address our current applicants and our assessment of the current academic year as it relates to Admission conditions around prerequisite and degree completion and potentially registration requirements. 

For our prospective applicants, we will also be taking into consideration assessment of this current academic year and potential effects on our policies including academic average calculation, prerequisite, degree and DAT requirements.

Although Admission requirements vary provincially and nationally we are ensuring that our Admissions Committee decides best practices and the best way forward to address all of the circumstances, which are beyond all of our control, affecting our Admission policies. Our decisions will be carefully deliberated upon, balancing the varied accommodations in grades and degree requirements by different universities with ensuring Admission standards can still be fairly evaluated and upheld for all applicants.

We plan to share this information with you as soon as it is ready.

At this time, we can only assure that we are mindful of your worry and that we are diligently working on our plan. Please continue to visit our website for updates.

Please take good care,
Our Admissions Team

19 minutes ago, patrickstar said:

An update from the Schulich website:

Statement to Current and Prospective Applicants Regarding Covid-19  

We hope that you and your loved ones are keeping well through this challenging time. We understand that along with all of the uncertainty, the current situation provides added concern for you about the effects this could have on your current or future application to the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) Program at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. 

Please be assured that we are carefully deliberating with our Admissions Committee and putting together a plan. This plan will address our current applicants and our assessment of the current academic year as it relates to Admission conditions around prerequisite and degree completion and potentially registration requirements. 

For our prospective applicants, we will also be taking into consideration assessment of this current academic year and potential effects on our policies including academic average calculation, prerequisite, degree and DAT requirements.

Although Admission requirements vary provincially and nationally we are ensuring that our Admissions Committee decides best practices and the best way forward to address all of the circumstances, which are beyond all of our control, affecting our Admission policies. Our decisions will be carefully deliberated upon, balancing the varied accommodations in grades and degree requirements by different universities with ensuring Admission standards can still be fairly evaluated and upheld for all applicants.

We plan to share this information with you as soon as it is ready.

At this time, we can only assure that we are mindful of your worry and that we are diligently working on our plan. Please continue to visit our website for updates.

Please take good care,
Our Admissions Team 

WOW,

Well, I feel like this statement was mainly for:
1) Current applicants who are taking pre requisites to fulfill any requirement for this cycle; since some courses are pass/fail, I believe Schulich will now allow any "Pass" grade as sufficient for meeting the requirement.
2) Future applicants - same idea, pass/fail will either not be used when calculating GPA and also can be used when fulfilling a requirement.

I don't think it will change anything (admission criteria) for this cycle. If anything, the release of offers will be delayed, because it seems that the admission committee is working on coming up with a plan regarding COVID-19 and are not yet making any decisions regarding current applicants.

So according to the admissions office, the physiology exam will be held in mid-May. Anyone know if we would be writing the exam before the offers are sent out or after? I would like to email them but I figured I would ask here first, in case others have emailed the same question. 

30 minutes ago, Dental said:

So according to the admissions office, the physiology exam will be held in mid-May. Anyone know if we would be writing the exam before the offers are sent out or after? I would like to email them but I figured I would ask here first, in case others have emailed the same question. 

IDK the validity of this info but someone posted in one of the groups that they emailed admissions about dates and the reply was: "offers will NOT be delayed and should be expected to be release by the end of April/beginning of May. Anyone who receives an offer and needs to write the physiology exam will be given a conditional acceptance".
I do not need to write the physiology exam, but if I were to write I would email the admissions to clarify.
Again, I heard this from another applicant so idk the veracity of the facts. If you email them, could you please share their response?
Thank you.

12 minutes ago, dental0550 said:

IDK the validity of this info but someone posted in one of the groups that they emailed admissions about dates and the reply was: "offers will NOT be delayed and should be expected to be release by the end of April/beginning of May. Anyone who receives an offer and needs to write the physiology exam will be given a conditional acceptance".
I do not need to write the physiology exam, but if I were to write I would email the admissions to clarify.
Again, I heard this from another applicant so idk the veracity of the facts. If you email them, could you please share their response?
Thank you.

Of course! I just sent them an email and I'll post their response when I receive it. Thanks for letting me know!

1 hour ago, inininini said:

" In the event that you receive an offer of admission or are ranked where you potentially could receive an offer of admission, we will be asking you to write the Physiology Challenge Exam in mid-May as part of a condition of admission."

Sounds pretty self-explanatory to me.

Thought so as well, but I just wanted to clarify!