Premed 101 Forums

Program Transfer - Question

Hi guys,

I'm a PGY1 in Ontario, looking for a possible transfer of program, anywhere.

I don't really understand the process for the transfer. The information provided simply stipulated to send a letter on intention, that is general, and provide them with a list of the discipline/schools.

Does any one has gone through a program transfer ?

Odds?

Is there any way to know if there is an available spot for a transfer in any discipline, or not?

There is so many questions I have but I really have no clue where to look to find these answers..

Thank you all.

Ps. I know already about CaRMS 2nd iteration, and re-entry program in Ontario.

Two methods, the primary method, and the easiest usually, is to approach your PGME office, they will usually have someone who has transfer coordination as part of their job. You will meet with them and discuss your transfer goals, what program, what locations, etc. They will know if there's anything available at your own institution, and can reach out to other institution on your behalf. Generally, in this early phase you don't have to inform your own program. At some point you will need a letter from your PD if you go this method, so if you're in poor standing for whatever reason it makes this method a lot harder.

The other method is through the carms 2nd iteration. You can apply on your own, however only available 2nd round spots will be available, and you will again probably need a letter from your program or someone close to it to vouch for you, and explain why you are leaving your current program, as they will be weary of people without LORs suspecting they were fired for a some reason. Your program doesn't have to give time off for interviews or anything though.

Transfers are uncommon but not rare, and generally easier if its to a different program at the same school, or within province, because your funding transfers. It's also theoretically easy to go from longer specialty to a shorter one as it your funding will go with you if within the province. You can informally reach out to programs to see if they're accepting transfers but they have no obligation to respond, and your own PGME office can find this out for you.