Premed 101 Forums

Kids Help Phone

pwguy

it would definitely help in terms of getting volunteering experience, but more than that, it's SUCH a fantastic thing to get involved in and i can't recommend it enough!!!!

to be honest, it can be a bit difficult and taxing at times, but it is SO fulfilling to do your best to help texters problem-solve and come out of the conversation feeling better than they did before :wub: 

when i did it, you could choose between doing it for two-weeks (accelerated) or six-weeks (regular). i went for the six-week training and found it completely doable during a school semester, but the two weeks might be a bit tough to do if you're busy or close to exam time :( the training didn't take me as long as i thought it would though (and as long as they estimated it would take), but the time commitment is still definitely something to consider :/ 

volunteers will always be needed, so if you're busy at the moment, you could always consider it again in the future if it would be more feasible for you to handle later! :)

16 hours ago, tennie said:

it would definitely help in terms of getting volunteering experience, but more than that, it's SUCH a fantastic thing to get involved in and i can't recommend it enough!!!!

to be honest, it can be a bit difficult and taxing at times, but it is SO fulfilling to do your best to help texters problem-solve and come out of the conversation feeling better than they did before :wub: 

Wow! That seems like an amazing opportunity to help others! How often would you volunteer per week and what types of conversations do you participate in?

2 hours ago, lil_shine said:

Wow! That seems like an amazing opportunity to help others! How often would you volunteer per week and what types of conversations do you participate in?

it really is!! :lol: the shifts tend to be 4 hours per week, however times are really flexible (given that you can volunteer from home!!) and you can also just pop in to the platform and take conversations outside shift times if you have free time as well! you also don't have to do the same time each week (and you can literally volunteer at any time of day, even at like 3 am if you wanted to lol)

the conversations you can participate in are basically centred around anything that people text in with, so they can be super varied!! the really nice thing about it though is that there are ALWAYS supervisors online, so you have someone to ask questions to/iron out issues with if you face a conversation where it's a bit hard for you to know how to best help! :wub:

40 minutes ago, tennie said:

it really is!! :lol: the shifts tend to be 4 hours per week, however times are really flexible (given that you can volunteer from home!!) and you can also just pop in to the platform and take conversations outside shift times if you have free time as well! you also don't have to do the same time each week (and you can literally volunteer at any time of day, even at like 3 am if you wanted to lol)

the conversations you can participate in are basically centred around anything that people text in with, so they can be super varied!! the really nice thing about it though is that there are ALWAYS supervisors online, so you have someone to ask questions to/iron out issues with if you face a conversation where it's a bit hard for you to know how to best help! :wub:

Thanks so much for the detailed response! It sounds like a great learning experience!