Premed 101 Forums

No Publications Going into Medical School

Hello all,  

At the moment it seems like McMaster is my best chance of getting into medical school. How much of a disadvantage would I be in if I don't have any publications going in (I wanted to write one this summer but our labs have all shut down). In 3 years how much can you feasibly do in the research aspect at McMaster. 

I am not aiming for anything super competitive, thinking either IM or FM for the most part. 

If you’re asking in terms of acceptances, it shouldn’t affect you since Mac doesn’t use the ABS. In terms of residency match, having no undergraduate research shouldn’t affect you much either.

From what I have heard, there’s lots of research opportunities at the Hamilton campus. There might be a bit less at the satellite campuses, but some on the forum were suggesting that the closeness of the smaller campuses actually allows for better connections with profs and faculty, and thus better access to research opportunities.