Premed 101 Forums

OOP Seats

1 hour ago, futuredoc19 said:

According to page 17 of this PDF, 109 OOP students were interviewed. Is this normal? I thought it was the top ranking 50-60 students that were interviewed. Are there more OOP spots this year or is the competition greater now?

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

That was the interview stats for November 2018. For this application cycle (November 2019). There was 4 sessions in Halifax and 2 in Saint John I believe. I know the there was four interview tracks during each session in Halifax (4x12=48). I'm not sure if Saint John is the same... But, if all of my assumptions are correct (6x48=288). So that would mean 288 people interviewed, which was down from last year. This is all based off these assumptions I stated so feel free to correct me! But if there are 288 interviewees, I would assume the number of OOP people interviewing would definitely be down from 109.

Edit: Sorry forgot to answer the other question, there are still only 9 OOP seats!

Edited by vajihollahi

45 minutes ago, vajihollahi said:

That was the interview stats for November 2018. For this application cycle (November 2019). There was 4 sessions in Halifax and 2 in Saint John I believe. I know the there was four interview tracks during each session in Halifax (4x12=48). I'm not sure if Saint John is the same... But, if all of my assumptions are correct (6x48=288). So that would mean 288 people interviewed, which was down from last year. This is all based off these assumptions I stated so feel free to correct me! But if there are 288 interviewees, I would assume the number of OOP people interviewing would definitely be down from 109.

Hey there,

This is not quite correct, at least for Halifax. In November 2019, there were 4 tracks (12 students each), and 3 sessions (Saturday AM, Saturday PM, Sunday AM). So in Halifax alone, it would have been (6x48 = 288) and then I believe another 96 interviewed in Saint John on the Saturday AM/PM. So the number should be closer to 384. As far as I know, no one cancelled at the last minute and all the students in Halifax checked in as expected. 

Each year, they typically interview around 50-60 OOP candidates (there is a bit of variation on this based on applicant pool and who makes the cut offs), and 9 are chosen for acceptance. There is a fair amount of movement on the OOP waitlist as OOP students sometimes accept a school that is in their home province later in the cycle. 

1 hour ago, futuredoc19 said:

According to page 17 of this PDF, 109 OOP students were interviewed. Is this normal? I thought it was the top ranking 50-60 students that were interviewed. Are there more OOP spots this year or is the competition greater now?

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2020_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

These are the stats for the November 2018 interview (March 2019 acceptance, and September 2019 start). I have heard that in that interview cycle, there were not enough in province applicants that met the GPA, MCAT, and CASPer criteria cut offs. So in that case, they interviewed a greater number of out of province students. However, only 9 OOP students were selected for the September 2019 start (Class of 2023).

I hope this helps clarify.

3 minutes ago, avocado_toast said:

Hey there,

This is not quite correct, at least for Halifax. In November 2019, there were 4 tracks (12 students each), and 3 sessions (Saturday AM, Saturday PM, Sunday AM). So in Halifax alone, it would have been (6x48 = 288) and then I believe another 96 interviewed in Saint John on the Saturday AM/PM. So the number should be closer to 384. As far as I know, no one cancelled at the last minute and all the students in Halifax checked in as expected. 

I'm not sure where you get the 6x48 = 288 when there are only 3 sessions of 48 people? If there are only 3 sessions shouldn't it be 3x48 = 144? Also I thought there was a Sunday PM session in Halifax.. Although I could be wrong with all of this. If you are suggesting there was 2 separate tracks of 48 people running in Halifax at the same time then this would make sense, but I am sure this is not the case

21 hours ago, vajihollahi said:

I'm not sure where you get the 6x48 = 288 when there are only 3 sessions of 48 people? If there are only 3 sessions shouldn't it be 3x48 = 144? Also I thought there was a Sunday PM session in Halifax.. Although I could be wrong with all of this. If you are suggesting there was 2 separate tracks of 48 people running in Halifax at the same time then this would make sense, but I am sure this is not the case

Oops, sorry I mixed that up a bit. I think it was definitely Saturday AM, Saturday PM, and an AM session on Sunday. But I think there were more tracks in Halifax.

7 minutes ago, avocado_toast said:

Oops, sorry I mixed that up a bit. I think it was definitely Saturday AM, Saturday PM, and an AM session on Sunday. But I think there were more tracks in Halifax.

I was there Sunday morning in Halifax and I know for a fact it was only 48 (4 tracks of 12 people)! So if people from Saturday sessions could provide some insight from Halifax we can get a better idea of how many interviewed since we know 96 were at Saint John.

3 minutes ago, vajihollahi said:

I was there Sunday morning in Halifax and I know for a fact it was only 48 (4 tracks of 12 people)! So if people from Saturday sessions could provide some insight from Halifax we can get a better idea of how many interviewed since we know 96 were at Saint John.

I was there Saturday AM and if I remember correctly there were 6 tracks of 12 people. 

4 minutes ago, marcoyolo said:

I was there Saturday AM and if I remember correctly there were 6 tracks of 12 people. 

Ah ok I assumed every session was 48 people. So if there were 72 Saturday morning, perhaps there were 72 Saturday afternoon and then 48 Sunday morning in Halifax. So that would leave (72 + 72 + 96 + 48) = 288 interviewees based on all those assumptions. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with anything. But that does help to get a better idea of how many people are competing for the spots you are interviewing for.