Premed 101 Forums

Distraction from current events

Hello all!

I imagine we all want to feel a little more normal given the circumstances. So to do so I figured I’d field a speculation question as a means of distraction. Last year this forum was wild with people speculating whether the proof of citizenship updates had any bearing on whether people had been accepted. 

Do people think the number of times you have applied to ubc impacts your application (good or bad)? I notice that in the application it asks this question and this is not a part of the optional section which has no bearing on the overall application. Having applied multiple times and hoping to hear good news in May I’d love to hear people’s thoughts! 

Cheers 

I think if one of the reviewers from prior years remembers seeing you in the past, that'd definitely increase their impression of your ability to follow things through. If you were red-flagged for something and they remember that, that might backfire.

That being said, while normal is nice, I don't think med hopefuls should be getting distracted the current crisis, because this crisis is by nature a medical crisis: it's valuable to observe and learn from what happens during this time period. As a future medical practitioner, we should all be willing to work in this kind of environment, regardless of the stress or danger it causes. Anything else reminds me of this meme I saw on subtle asian dating (attached)

Screenshot_20200402-003626_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, HongHongHong said:

I think if one of the reviewers from prior years remembers seeing you in the past, that'd definitely increase their impression of your ability to follow things through. If you were red-flagged for something and they remember that, that might backfire.

That being said, while normal is nice, I don't think med hopefuls should be getting distracted the current crisis, because this crisis is by nature a medical crisis: it's valuable to observe and learn from what happens during this time period. As a future medical practitioner, we should all be willing to work in this kind of environment, regardless of the stress or danger it causes. Anything else reminds me of this meme I saw on subtle asian dating (attached)

Screenshot_20200402-003626_Chrome.jpg

Totally agree! I just meant more from the perspective of the news being overrun by covid. The coverage is 100% warranted but I know it can cause a lot of people anxiety or stress so was just looking to provide a small distraction!

I have heard from a physician who worked as faculty at UCalgary medical school that it is looked upon favourably to be a re-applicant as it shows that you are persevering and committed to medical school. I am not sure how far being a re-applicant would actually get you though or how much it would actually count towards haha.