Premed 101 Forums

OOP Chances Post-Interview

Looking at stats from classes of 2016, 2017 (back when the seats reserved for OOP were 10, not 5) it looks like they pretty much accepted everyone post-interview, save a few (whom I am assuming were on the wait list and declined before getting an offer). They also seemed to only interview around 25 people, and that’s probably still the number now since only about 4 people accepted in the end. Is it safe to say that post-interview, pretty much everyone will get an offer if you’re OOP? (Sorry Manitoba was my only interview and I’m so anxious!!!!!)

3 hours ago, UMmmMed said:

I don't think they offer all OOP applicants a spot. What would happen if all 20+ accepted? 

I'd assume they treat it more as a wait list aka offer it to the first 5 ranked OOP applicants, then move down the list as people accept/decline. 

Yeah exactly. That’s prob how they do it. But including waitlist movement nearly all OOP get sent an acceptance at one time or another? I heard someone even got accepted after being straight up rejected. Idk the validity of that but who knows 

^ That’s what I meant. Not an offer the first  time around but with declines and waitlist movement, eventually most people get an offer. I’d even argue that the few people who never got offers on the classes of 2016, 2017 statistics page would have gotten offers but they were waitlisted and declined before getting an offer - seeing as they only filled up 4 OOP spots instead of the max of 10 (at the time).

Hello! 2nd year OOP student at U of M here. My class (2022s) actually filled up all 5 of our spots. I got my offer off the waitlist about 2 weeks after the initial offers were sent out (mid-June I think? It's a bit of a blur now). The 5th person to accept got his offer sometime in July which is fairly late. I don't know if anyone was on the waitlist below him, although it's quite possible. So I wouldn't say acceptance is guaranteed. However, the 2023s only had 3 OOPs accept (i.e. they for sure went all the way down the list and still didn't fill 2 OOP spots).

I don't think failing the interview is terribly common. I know USask failed over 40% of OOPs interviewed but I think U of M only fails people like 2+ SD below the mean of all interviewees (including IP). They have a fairly rigorous red flag review process as well that results in some of them getting dropped.

My hunch is that the introduction of the CASPer is actually decreasing the number of OOP people accepting their offers. In the past, U of M was a good option for people that had great MCATs and GPAs and lacked extracurriculars/had poorer CASPer performances that prevented them from getting into other schools. Given the astronomically low odds of getting an interview at U of M as an OOP, the people that do get interviews now probably have great CASPer scores and are competitive at other schools that look at it (McMaster, McGill, Ottawa, Dal, etc). This is in addition to the fact that they probably have great GPAs and MCATs as well.

TL;DR I wouldn't say that your odds of getting accepted are 100%, but I do think they are very high post-interview compared to most other schools. The major hurdle tends to be pre-interview rather than post-interview. Best of luck to everyone and let me know if you have any questions :)! Waiting it out was hard enough before COVID hit. 

14 hours ago, Glass Cannon Applicant said:

Hello! 2nd year OOP student at U of M here. My class (2022s) actually filled up all 5 of our spots. I got my offer off the waitlist about 2 weeks after the initial offers were sent out (mid-June I think? It's a bit of a blur now). The 5th person to accept got his offer sometime in July which is fairly late. I don't know if anyone was on the waitlist below him, although it's quite possible. So I wouldn't say acceptance is guaranteed. However, the 2023s only had 3 OOPs accept (i.e. they for sure went all the way down the list and still didn't fill 2 OOP spots).

I don't think failing the interview is terribly common. I know USask failed over 40% of OOPs interviewed but I think U of M only fails people like 2+ SD below the mean of all interviewees (including IP). They have a fairly rigorous red flag review process as well that results in some of them getting dropped.

My hunch is that the introduction of the CASPer is actually decreasing the number of OOP people accepting their offers. In the past, U of M was a good option for people that had great MCATs and GPAs and lacked extracurriculars/had poorer CASPer performances that prevented them from getting into other schools. Given the astronomically low odds of getting an interview at U of M as an OOP, the people that do get interviews now probably have great CASPer scores and are competitive at other schools that look at it (McMaster, McGill, Ottawa, Dal, etc). This is in addition to the fact that they probably have great GPAs and MCATs as well.

TL;DR I wouldn't say that your odds of getting accepted are 100%, but I do think they are very high post-interview compared to most other schools. The major hurdle tends to be pre-interview rather than post-interview. Best of luck to everyone and let me know if you have any questions :)! Waiting it out was hard enough before COVID hit. 

Random question here. How has UofM been as an OOP? Is it everything you'd thought it'd be? Better? Worse? What is the night-life like?

• 1 month later...