Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Psych

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

Just now, HugeEuge said:

Dr. Strange made a comment about how it must not be a good school because of the amount of waitlist movement. I didn't even apply there and know that's not true at all so I wanted to make sure false info wasn't being spread.

fair! i wish i got accepted at queen's lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr.Strange said:

https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2019_r1_tbl3e.pdf

Queens has one of the smallest amount of residency positions in Canada. Get ready for some serious competition among your small amount of classmates because most people tend to match to their home school, just look at CPSO. Med school doesnt get any less cut throat especially in smaller settings.  

Residency spots are proportional to the clinical volume of the services which in turn is proportional to the catchment areas they serve

Sure Mac has 2x as many spots as Queens but they also have 2x as many med students too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Large class sizes are overrrated, Id rather be close to all 100 classmates than know all 250 on an acquaintance level

Maybe city wise Kingston isnt as ideal as Toronto or Ottawa as a young working professional

I thought that way too, but apparently it's more of a hindrance. People tend to get to know each other early on then just split off into their own groups, that's been the constant I've heard from a lot of people from the different schools. Small class sizes just means that you'll have less people you can get to know. It's only in smaller places like regional campuses at Mac or Queens where I know a few of my friends are complaining about the gossip culture which isn't nearly as bad in larger class sizes.

Just putting that out there since hearing that perspective from different people made me reconsider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HugeEuge said:

Congrats! What was your wgpa if you don't mind me asking? As what you cGPA is doesn't really make a difference in admissions.

Thank you!
3.91 if they decided to drop 4 FCE for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Residency spots are proportional to the clinical volume of the services which in turn is proportional to the catchment areas they serve

Sure Mac has 2x as many spots as Queens but they also have 2x as many med students too

The problem with queens and regional campuses in general are that because they don't have high clinical volume, there is less competitive fields. You will not see the subspecialty connections in bigger academic centres like toronto or ottawa compare to regional sites or kingston which has a population of 100k. It will be much more difficult to build those connections that get you to the specialty of you choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FinallyAccepted23 said:

I thought that way too, but apparently it's more of a hindrance. People tend to get to know each other early on then just split off into their own groups, that's been the constant I've heard from a lot of people from the different schools. Small class sizes just means that you'll have less people you can get to know. It's only in smaller places like regional campuses at Mac or Queens where I know a few of my friends are complaining about the gossip culture which isn't nearly as bad in larger class sizes.

Just putting that out there since hearing that perspective from different people made me reconsider.

same, this is something I can relate to as someone in optometry with a very small class size (46)... at first I thought the 46 of us were going to be tight-knit as ever, but alas even though we're still friendly to each other I can't help to notice that after the first 2 weeks people tend to drift off into "cliques"... heck, at one point it gets even more awkward to speak to someone else in our class that we're not used talking to compared to the first day of school, even though we technically know each other "better" as time passes imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr.Strange said:

No I'm just countering the argument mcgillmdbd made. There is no way 100 people move off the waitlist in a school (queens) with 100 students. I'm not saying queens is a bad school im joking

Perhaps they count people who have been put on their waitlist yet get accepted at other schools before getting an offer at Queens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TheStern said:

Has anyone firmly accepted an offer? I did and now it looks a bit funny and I just want to be sure I did it all right

Yeah it's supposed to look like that apparently! I was also worried (it should say your application is being processed and you should get an email with your confirmation number).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just wondering if the amount of offers given by a school matches the number of seats they have. For instance, Toronto has roughly ~250 seats, did they accept 250 people today or do they accept 300 people to account for potential fluctuation? And then is the waitlist starting at the 300 person mark for instance. Sorry, I am just confused and following the logic of the US system which sends more acceptance offers then seats.

I'm also on 3 waitlists so I'm hoping the schools just accept the number of seats and the waitlist starts afterwards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ggmedschool said:

I was just wondering if the amount of offers given by a school matches the number of seats they have. For instance, Toronto has roughly ~250 seats, did they accept 250 people today or do they accept 300 people to account for potential fluctuation? And then is the waitlist starting at the 300 person mark for instance. Sorry, I am just confused and following the logic of the US system which sends more acceptance offers then seats.

I'm also on 3 waitlists so I'm hoping the schools just accept the number of seats and the waitlist starts afterwards 

Schools generally over accept to account for the number of offers that will be declined, then after that will have the waitlist. I assume the waitlist would be too long if they did it without over accepting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 823476345 said:

Anyone know which Western Campus they're at yet? (or know how we'll know?) Mine says EDR on OMSAS but unspecified on student center and email letter. Excited to meet you all!

London for me!! Mine said EDR on OMSAS too, no idea what that means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ggmedschool said:

I was just wondering if the amount of offers given by a school matches the number of seats they have. For instance, Toronto has roughly ~250 seats, did they accept 250 people today or do they accept 300 people to account for potential fluctuation? And then is the waitlist starting at the 300 person mark for instance. Sorry, I am just confused and following the logic of the US system which sends more acceptance offers then seats.

I'm also on 3 waitlists so I'm hoping the schools just accept the number of seats and the waitlist starts afterwards 

I would not if I was UofT, knowing I was most candidates first choice

They have historical data that probably guides this decison - I think most schools do over offer to a certain extent (some more than others)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

Yeah it's supposed to look like that apparently! I was also worried (it should say your application is being processed and you should get an email with your confirmation number).

And the email you received is a bunch of weird boxes that all say "no further consideration" except for the one you accepted which looks the same but says "firm accepted"?

I know it's probably right but just want to make sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have to do anything once we get waitlisted or they automatically contact us if we're high enough in the list? Like is there anything I need to "accept"? Also does anyone have a guess as to the odds of getting an offer on the Mac waitlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...