Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

2 hours ago, dooogs said:

Finishing up my Masters and might do some research over the summer but if I don't get it I don't know what I will do..... :(

Finish up my program, at least I will have a guarantee interview with Mac next year... 

What is this about an OMSAS glitch? 

18 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

Random question: If medical school classes end up being online for the year (due to the pandemic) and if given the option to defer your acceptance to the following year, would you do it? 

I'm not sure if I would or not - maybe I guess? It would be nice to have face-to-face interaction. hmmm... Just trying to kill time lol

I honestly would consider it. It gives you a year to do whatever you want. Maybe work, travel (assuming things get to a level where that becomes safe to do). Also, putting yourself in a unique unprecedented situation where things go online for the first time ever may potentially create a less than ideal educational and social environment. The downside is you become a doctor one year later and miss out on a year of income. 

Does deferring allow more students be accepted off the waitlist for the current year?

42 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

Random question: If medical school classes end up being online for the year (due to the pandemic) and if given the option to defer your acceptance to the following year, would you do it? 

Good point! I never thought of that before. 

I think for myself I would probably take the year off.  Probably work and travel before I dedicate myself to 4 years of medical school. 

The only problem I see for this is like what if 50% of the class decides to defer, does that make it even harder for the people applying next year? Or does that mean classes starting Fall 2021 would be extra large.  It could effect things down the line (Matching and residency spots).  Because of this idk if med schools would allow us to defer due to COVID-19

53 minutes ago, Applicant5050 said:

There is no indication it was a glitch - at least as far as I know. Last year was the first year they revamped the entire OMSAS interface, that's probably why it hasn't happened in the past

What is OMSAS suppose to look like.  I just checked mine now and it looks the same as it did when I applied in October. 

17 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Good point! I never thought of that before. 

I think for myself I would probably take the year off.  Probably work and travel before I dedicate myself to 4 years of medical school. 

The only problem I see for this is like what if 50% of the class decides to defer, does that make it even harder for the people applying next year? Or does that mean classes starting Fall 2021 would be extra large.  It could effect things down the line (Matching and residency spots).  Because of this idk if med schools would allow us to defer due to COVID-19

That’s a very good point. Having the option to defer would heavily affect the competitiveness of next cycle. Class size is unlikely to change. 
But I think even if the schools don’t offer an automatic deferral option, many candidates will request it anyways due to COVID-19. I expect that there will be more deferrals this year regardless. 

13 minutes ago, notagunner said:

No. Year 3 and 4 are for clinical experiences and clerkship (I know there's some weekly clinical skills stuff in 1st year at some schools). I wouldn't miss anything significant in first year. Their are anatomy labs, but they would probably offer a summer class to supplement whatever hands on experience was missed. Definitely not worth missing a year, for me.

IDK... interest groups, networking and specialty shadowing all start from Day 1. :/ Missing that might jeopardize matching or interest exploration for a fair number of people. I really hope we won't come to that though. :/

46 minutes ago, notagunner said:

If it's bad enough that school is still online there are definitely going to still have travel restrictions

Very true, can always travel in Canada a little or just relax.  

All hypothetical of course, have to get that acceptance first!

34 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

IDK... interest groups, networking and specialty shadowing all start from Day 1. :/ Missing that might jeopardize matching or interest exploration for a fair number of people. I really hope we won't come to that though. :/

I agree, I feel like med school should be more than just the learning!  We would be paying a lot of money and worked our asses to get there so I wouldn't want my experience compromised in anyway.  

17 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

Travel in canada? Where are you guys located? The province I'm living in right now (Quebec) has limited us from entering ontario and other parts of Quebec! 

I've been wanting to visit my family but have been waiting until the restriction is off

I'm in Ontario and things havn't become too strict yet. Been able to go on walks and see some nice places in my city while keeping my distance from people and following proper protocals.  I'm sorry you havn't been able to see your family to much.

My hopes to travel are all hypothetical of course, who knows what will happen in a few months. Just day dreaming a bit here :)

1 minute ago, YesIcan55 said:

you should not be "travelling" anywhere than to the local grocery store to get food...this pandemic is not something that will blow over in 2-3 months...stay home

Sorry I thought we were just putting hypotheticals. Like what we would do if we got accepted or not or if we had the option to defer or not.  I was just just putting down some of my wishes of what I would do in an ideal world :).  

Obviously, if there are restrictions in place I would be doing my best to quarantine to help stop the spread. 

As for my point about traveling just in Canada, again it was just a hypothetical. I was thinking  there might be a chance we can't travel to other countries but travel in Canada would be allowed. But who knows. 

Nothing I was putting is actual plans of mine. 

17 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Nothing I was putting is actual plans of mine. 

haha no I get ya, people need to lighten up. This was a hypothetical question posed.  

Hypothetically if given a year off I would probably travel too (provided we were allowed). Maybe try some stuff I have always wanted to, perhaps try learning how to actually cook more than ramen lol! 

If given the chance to defer or not that would be hard.  I think not being able to have the experience in person would be suck for sure. 

You've all made a good point about how difficult it would be to potentially move if granted admission and the pandemic hasn't weaned down. I didn't honestly think about the consequences of that. Truthfully I wouldn't personally defer. It's been a long time coming. I'm getting burnt out with my job and it would be a nice change, even if just online. It may also help save some $$ from rent