Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Reset Responses button = Offer - Change my mind

- MD/PhD accepted applicants has the button

- Clicking the button says "All offer responses reset."

- As of now, it seems like only Mac has updated OMSAS with their list of offers as All those with buttons interviewed at Mac & All those that did not have the button did not interview at Mac

Someone explain the files closed theory

1 minute ago, swoman said:

Reset Responses button = Offer - Change my mind

- MD/PhD UofT applicant has the button

- Clicking the button says "All offer responses reset."

- As of now, it seems like only Mac has updated OMSAS with their list of offers as All those with buttons interviewed at Mac & All those that did not have the button did not interview at Mac

Someone explain the files closed theory

clarification:

- MD/PhD UofT ACCEPTED applicant has The Button

The files closed theory only makes sense to me if everyone who has the button has NOT applied to one or more of the same schools that people without the button have applied to (e.g. everyone with the button did not apply to NOSM while everyone without the button did). Then that one school not putting in their acceptances would result in applicants files being "incomplete". Hopefully this logic makes sense?

(Also I know that we don't really know anything for certain, I'm just happy to have something to put my brain power towards)

Just now, Furosemide said:

To add a data point:

Interviewed at Queens and Mac (as OOP) with 3.96 cGPA and 128 CARS (I assume I did well on casper) and I do NOT have the button. 

This thread has me feeling super down. Amazing what a few lines of code can do to my whole sense of self-worth!

Just remember this is all speculation, too many unknowns. Maybe it's a timing thing for different people. 

I wouldnt put too much value as to whether youve the button or not - Im still just as cautiously optimistic but preparing for the worst even though I have the button and if you dont have the button, I wouldnt stress too much and just wait 4 more days - hopefully OMSAS updates at midnight

4 minutes ago, pureblue said:

yes, this is what the closed file theory depends on. OMSAS does not know where we interviewed and where we didn't, only where we applied. So even if you interviewed at only one school but you applied to all Ontario schools, OMSAS may still be waiting on the other schools. Is there anybody who applied ONLY to McMaster that can let us know if they see a button?

I applied to Mac, UofT, and Queens. I was rejected pre-interview at UofT and Queens. Only got an interview at Mac. I think that disproves the theory?

edit: only if we are assuming all the schools have sent their data already. If not, then clearly not lol

12 minutes ago, pureblue said:

yes, this is what the closed file theory depends on. OMSAS does not know where we interviewed and where we didn't, only where we applied. So even if you applied to one school but you applied to all Ontario schools, OMSAS may still be waiting on the one school. Is there anybody who applied ONLY to McMaster that can let us know if they see a button?

Pretty much this; a poll could put it to bed pretty quickly (like if even 1 person applied to only Mac that would be the end of it), but the few (4-5 now it seems, unless they're all trolls, which is def possible) ppl who have the button but no Mac interview makes me think it can't be only that. Before the ratio of ppl who would theoretically get a Mac offer seemed much too high, but seems to have leveled off somewhat in the poll now, so I'm cool to just call it sampling bias from all the successful folks here on the forums. Personally I'm hoping we all get in and The Day of the Button can be a story throughout the years as classmates haha.

Edit: pureblue above me summed up the logic pretty well... tho if ppl had multiple interviews and the button that likely goes out the window now that I think about it, seems p unlikely. Hooray for knowing nothing! 

3 minutes ago, pureblue said:

No it doesn't, you still applied to U of T and Queens. As far as OMSAS is considered you are still in the running for those two schools until the schools update OMSAS on who gets an offer. The theory depends on Mac being either the first or last school to provide its ranking to OMSAS. It's obviously not a complete framework because it can't explain what the button means, if it even has a meaning, it only explains its appearance.

I think the complete file theory is disproven because people who had multiple interviews like Mac, Queens, UofT, like Anon (quoted below) have the button. If non-Mac schools have not uploaded their offers yet, these people should have an incomplete file and therefore no button. 

7 minutes ago, anon1234567890 said:

Invite at Queen's Mac and U of T - have the button 

1 minute ago, TheFlyGuy said:

Pretty much this; a poll could put it to bed pretty quickly (like if even 1 person applied to only Mac that would be the end of it), but the few (4-5 now it seems, unless they're all trolls, which is def possible) ppl who have the button but no Mac interview makes me think it can't be only that. Before the ratio of ppl who would theoretically get a Mac offer seemed much too high, but seems to have leveled off somewhat in the poll now, so I'm cool to just call it sampling bias from all the successful folks here on the forums. Personally I'm hoping we all get in and The Day of the Button can be a story throughout the years as classmates haha

Maybe its people misintepreting the Review and Submit Changes/Responses button as THE button when we are referring to Reset Responses button - it happened in this thread and gave me angina