Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

2 minutes ago, Psych said:

I have the exact same stats as you! Same three interviews, no button, 4.0 GPA and 129 CARS. This has given me so much anxiety, it's not looking good for those without a button and I'm really sad now :(

That's super weird. I got the button, 3.96 GPA 130 Cars, and I thought CASPer went poorly as I got an R from Ottawa but invites at other schools that look at ECs

1 minute ago, swoman said:

Okay all these people with amazing stats and no button is making me rethink button = mac offer rn

We are assuming Mac is the only one who updated OMSAS so far. Of course, that assumption could be wrong and it does seem kind of strange that they would be the ONLY one to tell OMSAS yet. We are also assuming Mac only used GPA + CASPer + CARS, which may also be wrong but using anything else also seems very unlikely to me.

1 minute ago, anon1234567890 said:

I got the button, 3.96 GPA 130 Cars, and I thought CASPer went poorly as I got an R from Ottawa but invites at other schools

super similar situation, I have the button, 3.98 GPA, 130 CARS and didn't get an Ottawa interview (or Queen's though so may just be my ECs)

Just now, pureblue said:

I find it really hard to believe that Mac would be the first one to post too. Any possibility that McMaster is the only school that has not "uploaded" their decisions at all yet? Not sure what this means in the context of the button, but it's looking more likely that it has to do with applicant file progress. We're also assuming that OMSAS updates every applicant at once per school, but it could be an applicant-by-applicant thing.

This would make more sense as it could discount the button being a glitch and explain why many highly competitive applicants don't have it 

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

But like these people also had interviews had Queens, UWO, Ottawa, and UofT that look at ECs and LORs...

That's what I've just noticed too lmao. This makes me think either that it's DEFINITELY a glitch or that Mac suddenly started evaluating ABS and references. To me it seems much more likely that this is a glitch (or maybe doesn't indicate anything) than Mac suddenly looking at stuff they haven't looked at ever before lmao

1 minute ago, swoman said:

Okay lets just call it a glitch and wait and see lmao; it makes no sense how all these people did not get acceptances with such high GPA and CARS and Ive a button with 3.8/129 (below average to average stats)

Either it's a glitch or file/applicant progress theory is actually correct - I believe there is still only 1 person who interviewed at Mac only and did see the button, and so far no one who applied to Mac only and sees the button.

3 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

If the button theory is true for Mac applicants, will applicants who receive offers from other schools eventually see the button before May 12?

I doubt it. If the button is truly indicative of acceptance surely the OMSAS team will read this thread and make sure it doesn't appear for anymore ppl

3 minutes ago, swoman said:

Unlikely, that makes no sense at all why it would only leak for some and not all and why just Mac alone

Mac using a new selection formula and potentially new ranking system could have caused the leak specific to their applicants? Assuming they don't input all acceptances instantaneously the leak could have affected the first few applicants then was fixed?

Don't necessarily believe what I just said but its an explanation!

4 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

Mac using a new selection formula and potentially new ranking system could have caused the leak specific to their applicants? Assuming they don't input all acceptances instantaneously the leak could have affected the first few applicants then was fixed?

Don't necessarily believe what I just said but its an explanation!

this is what i think. OMSAS updates at midnight so we might see something tomorrow... checking party at 12am anyone?