Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

6 minutes ago, ABCD13 said:

Hehe, I see your point.  But I can definitely see why some people would opt to do so, though.

Going through first year medical school, which has a very rigorous curriculum, can be really difficult and stressful when done online without a community and peers that understand what you are going through. It can be stressful if not executed well, and that might be hard to do because with such a short notice, schools might not implement a fully online curriculum perfectly. So I can definitely see why someone might want to defer it for the following year, if it is a guaranteed acceptance into the program :)

This is a good point. I wonder if schools will actually implement online only though - do you think the pandemic would continue on until Aug? Personally, I feel like it may wean down until then and if anything, only a few weeks would be online. 

Med schools aren't going to let you defer admission for COVID if school will be online. They'll say that they've online school in place (and they should be preparing for that already when they moved all preclerks online). It would massively affect the follow year's available class size if a significant portion of people deferred (even 10+ is a lot when class sizes are 150-200). I'm biased cause I come from Mac but online med school isn't much different for us. Missing out on clinical activities is a whole other story...

what about grad students? i feel like if their defence/rest of their research had to be pushed back and couldnt complete their degree by the deadline set by some med schools, it would be unfair to rescind their acceptance for something so out of their hands. maybe theyll allow deferrals in that scenario

Regardless, I think that there will be more deferrals this year than previous cycles. I already know of one friend whose masters is being delayed due to COVID-19, something completely out of his control. Other individuals may be experiencing severe personal or financial circumstances due to COVID-19 that would warrant a deferral. 

I think we shouldn't get our hopes up that this will impact waitlists especially since this is just speculation and no med school has even mentioned that this is a possibility. I really would be shocked if med schools would suddenly grant deferrals based on something that is impacting everyone. My understanding is that deferrals are very hard to get and only with a justifiable medical conditions. If someone were hospitalized due to COVID-19 then that would be a different story. If deferrals were granted on the basis of COVID they would run the risk of  needing to accept more people than are on their waitlist (so students that they were never intending on accepting in the first place).  With regards to grad students, if they were intending to graduate this spring/summer most would likely already have a good chunk of their data collection done and  if anything I would expect the accomodation to happen on the end of the graduate school itself (ie. allowing a student to complete their thesis  and defend with less data than initially expected and citing COVID-19 as a limitation to their research.) 

In relation to the above posts about grad students. I really do think both the students grad program and the medical school will be accommodating if the hard June 30th deadline cant be met. However, I think this will be done on a case by case basis. Where maybe the med school would be in contact with the supervisor or grad program to see how much "longer" the grad student will take to complete the project. It will definitely be a tricky situation if you have a ton of experiments still left to run. If you cant complete them by september + a defense then I think a deferral will be granted. If you can put together a mini project with data then they should allow you to graduate. Worst case: I honestly think that if you complete all your experiments and have written your thesis and all you have left is to defend, I cant see why this couldnt be completed while you're in your early stages of med school - although i think this is an extreme opinion of mine and someone will probably disagree LOL. There are many other program requirments in grad studies that aren't even related to the amount of data you collect (the odd courses, time and performance in lab, seminar presentations, thesis proposals etc.). All of which should technically grant you a degree - at least at my institution. This is about MSc students, PhD is a whole other playing field and far more tricky. My advice to fellow grad students: use this time to write your thesis and if lab work resumes this summer all you'll have to do is run some experiments and do a few touch-ups on your results/discussion section of your writing. At least a big bulk of your writing can be complete now. 

4 hours ago, HighAltitudeMedicine said:

With regards to grad students, if they were intending to graduate this spring/summer most would likely already have a good chunk of their data collection done and  if anything I would expect the accomodation to happen on the end of the graduate school itself (ie. allowing a student to complete their thesis  and defend with less data than initially expected and citing COVID-19 as a limitation to their research.) 

2 hours ago, premed72 said:

think this will be done on a case by case basis. Where maybe the med school would be in contact with the supervisor or grad program to see how much "longer" the grad student will take to complete the project. It will definitely be a tricky situation if you have a ton of experiments still left to run. If you cant complete them by september + a defense then I think a deferral will be granted. If you can put together a mini project with data then they should allow you to graduate.

Def think that there will be accomodation on the other end as well, as not all grad students have direct grant funding from the government (OGS, CIHR etc) and rely on the grants given to the supervisor: this means the more time needed for the student to complete their degree, the more funds taken by the student from the supervisors funding. this is problematic because they don't have infinite funding and usually calculate expenses to a T => need to rush grad students out.

either way this is all speculation but its ganna be interesting to see how this pans out. really feel for grad students in this time of uncertainty

1 hour ago, enmdkodof said:

Anyone have guesses on the backpack colour this year? 

The only ones I have liked are the blue and red ones however those were the colours a few years ago so I doubt it will be those.

Colour I don't want for sure is yellow though haha

2 hours ago, enmdkodof said:

Anyone have guesses on the backpack colour this year? 

Oh this is something I've been thinking about since the green were released last summer. The voting last summer had 2 greens, a blood orange, yellow, and grey. So theoretically the 2 greens are out. That leaves us with orange (which is controversial because of the pylon fiasco from 7 backpack colours ago...), grey, and yellow. None sound great to me unless they add in a purple or something. But my vote is grey.

Yes, I think about this alot. I've been dreaming about the backpacks since first year. The actual last dream I had they were turquoise with orange polka dots so I think it's safe to say that's not happening...

15 minutes ago, coffeeandmed said:

Oh this is something I've been thinking about since the green were released last summer. The voting last summer had 2 greens, a blood orange, yellow, and grey. So theoretically the 2 greens are out. That leaves us with orange (which is controversial because of the pylon fiasco from 7 backpack colours ago...), grey, and yellow. None sound great to me unless they add in a purple or something. But my vote is grey.

Yes, I think about this alot. I've been dreaming about the backpacks since first year. The actual last dream I had they were turquoise with orange polka dots so I think it's safe to say that's not happening...

Id be down for turquoise with orange polka dots lol!

but pandemic purple sounds perfect 

On 4/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, coffeeandmed said:

Same here! I wonder if students had the opportunity to vote again this year, I think last time they had to post a photo with their backpack to get the link to vote. I really don't think that the votes determine which colour is chosen but it would be nice to know what the potential options are.. lol Also thought the same thing about the two greens but then again class of 2016 and 2017 both have variations of blue! 

11 minutes ago, blinkingprinterlight said:

Same here! I wonder if students had the opportunity to vote again this year, I think last time they had to post a photo with their backpack to get the link to vote. I really don't think that the votes determine which colour is chosen but it would be nice to know what the potential options are.. lol Also thought the same thing about the two greens but then again class of 2016 and 2017 both have variations of blue! 

We will definitely be able to find something related to backpack colours closer to the launch date. That's a good point about the 2 blue years. I'm just skeptical about the double green because of how similar they are. However, the 2018 vote had a (grosS) olive green colour that appears to have disappeared from 2018 --> 2019. And 2014 had the lime green. And after green in 2014 came purple so I'm still hoping for a light or deep purple (guys I told you I think about this TOO MUCH)

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 7.12.19 PM.png