Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

5 minutes ago, chrsyjun said:

I thought so too, but I confirmed w smone I know whose button disappeared

I think there's only one way to solve this:

A 24 hour rotating watch. Sustained only be raw neuroticism, multiple applicants (for the statistical reliability!) will hold an everlasting* vigil around the clock to ensure that this sole light of either hope or consternation does not disappear. There is no other way. Their sacrificed sleep will be remembered* for years to come. 

*Until May 12th

3 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

A redditor apparently talked to admissions at uOttawa and she told them that ABS/GPA/CASPer are all weighted roughly equally (33% each essentially). The CAFs are used as a filter to check for redflags. @Donald_Duck Can you confirm this please?

Hmm, I feel like if uOttawa actually had such a clear-cut formula that they're so open about, then more people would know. I actually have an acquaintance who apparently heard from uO admissions that ABS/GPA/CAF are all weighed heavily, and CASPer is only used to check for red flags, lol.. 

2 minutes ago, redbeanbun said:

Hmm, I feel like if uOttawa actually had such a clear-cut formula that they're so open about, then more people would know. I actually have an acquaintance who apparently heard from uO admissions that ABS/GPA/CAF are all weighed heavily, and CASPer is only used to check for red flags, lol.. 

CASPER is scored by independent raters, then the score is sent to individual schools. I feel like leaving the interpretation of CASPER up to a third party to filter through red flags would be unlikely.

19 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

Yo that's WACK. So if I'm ethical I cannot make it to this school?

Ahaha apparently it's not a linear scoring system; i.e. 0 = unethical and 100 = ethical. Different scores just show diff personality traits. As a post-amble: I don't really believe this or think it matters b/c at some point they have to convert the scores into 0->100 so they can rank ppl! But I just remembered being told this when ppl were mentioning how the CASPer scores don't seem to make any sense in this thread!

31 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

The theory that Mac is strictly accepting students that didn't get acceptances elsewhere is bizarre. It goes directly against the principle of trying to select the best possible candidates

If there's a student who scored in the 100th percentile in CASPER, had a perfect GPA, and had a perfect MCAT score they would almost certainly receive multiple offers. So you think McMaster would decide to reject this person? What would even be the motivation to do that?

I have no clue what the button means, if anything, but I can assure you this isn't it

agree with this 

36 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

The theory that Mac is strictly accepting students that didn't get acceptances elsewhere is bizarre. It goes directly against the principle of trying to select the best possible candidates

If there's a student who scored in the 100th percentile in CASPER, had a perfect GPA, and had a perfect MCAT score they would almost certainly receive multiple offers. So you think McMaster would decide to reject this person? What would even be the motivation to do that?

I have no clue what the button means, if anything, but I can assure you this isn't it

I agree with what your saying, but the people who received an interview are still highly qualified (550/4-5k applicants). And Mac tends to accept 60% of those 550 historically, would it make a big difference if they also accepted some of the other 40% in light of current circumstances?

8 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

+1: to me if they did this it would be them "giving up". They would lose admissions credibility, which is pretty bad for mac considering they created the CASPer

reminder that lots of people on medical admissions are practicing physicians, other faculty staff, and administrative staff for the school. they have many other roles to play and must have significant increases in workload due to COVID (clinical practice, adapting the curriculum to an online format for current students, etc). 

i think it's safe to assume that mac collaborated with other schools to make sure they are using metrics that fairly evaluate candidates due to the change in interview processes. but imo it's highly unlikely they coordinated to give offers to those who didn't get any from other schools. 

1 minute ago, ontariopremed said:

reminder that lots of people on medical admissions are practicing physicians, other faculty staff, and administrative staff for the school. they have many other roles to play and must have significant increases in workload due to COVID (clinical practice, adapting the curriculum to an online format for current students, etc). 

i think it's safe to assume that mac collaborated with other schools to make sure they are using metrics that fairly evaluate candidates due to the change in interview processes. but it's highly unlikely they coordinated to give offers to those who didn't get any from other schools. 

The selecting people with no offers doesn’t have to be the only strict selection method. It could be considered along with their selection formula. But yes it does seem very unlikely overall.

3 minutes ago, Psych said:

I definitely did not know what I was starting when I made this thread as my first-ever premed 101 post :P

oh dw you've seen nothing yet. this is gonna get 100x worse on may 12 lmao

edit: i wanna point out how someone said we'd hit 40 pages before may 12 earlier today... and we're already at 36 with 4 more days left. Y'all better strap in for this ride :P

6 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

lol when I made that prediction I was not confident that it would be reached before Tuesday....but looks like it may be reached before the weekend even lol

You underestimate the power of neurotic premeds. :P This is gonna be a long and chatty ride - hope all y'all parents signed the permission form for this feels trip LOL

7 hours ago, X Æ A-12 said:

Guys so what does this mean about the button? Does this mean it's an acceptance? I'm not understanding this cryptic message. Let's break it down and look for clues! 

Jokes aside, I get what you're saying and agree with some aspects of this. However, I wonder how an ER doc or trauma surgeon would really behave if they had to apply to med school again and were waiting for results.

Take care of yourselves, eat, sleep and do something fun and relaxing this week! We've all worked insanely hard and we deserve a little break from this process while we wait.