Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Psych

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

If button = offer, I’m wondering what formula they used. My gf and I both got interviews to Mac, our GPAs are within 0.01 of each other, same CARS, and prepped together for CASPer. Our answers to sample questions were always very similar, and we’re both fast typers. The button’s showing for her but not for me.

I wasn’t super confident in my ABS though, and felt kind of iffy about one of my LORs. She got Queens & Mac, and I got Mac only. Neither of us got UofT, but were rejected on the same day about a week before interviews.

So I think either they weighed CASPer a LOT and magnified individual differences, took LORs into strong consideration… or used ABS (but others have said it’s unlikely they’d use ABS). Either that or the button’s random.

Lowkey mourning our dream of going to med school together :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think it's too early to feel sad because you don't have the button! 

1) we don't really know what the button means 

2) even if button means offer, it still might appear later on (i.e. on the 12th when we're supposed to find out the results)

3) even if you didn't receive an offer, there are still many people who get in from the waitlist! Especially if you're one of those applicants who have good stats but don't see a button right now 

There's still hope even if you don't have the button :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! The button could totally mean nothing, but going back to my U of T offer last year (I took a screenshot of  the offer On OMSAS the day I got in), and I had a ‘Reset Responses’ button. Who knows if that was always there though, so probably not worth stressing until Tuesday :) good luck everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of what happens, be proud of yourselves. You have all worked so hard to get here; you cannot be blamed for being anxious and even neurotic at times. It’s normal to feel stressed during these times. Don’t let others put you down, or question your character because of how  you are feeling. But remember that even if things don’t work out this cycle, you will find a way in life. Tell yourself that. I am ready for a rejection. I have been rejected the past 2 years and I’m still here, staying hopeful. I will be upset if I am rejected again, but I will not give up. I will find a way, and so will you. I wish the best of luck to all of us on May 12th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Regardless of what happens, be proud of yourselves. You have all worked so hard to get here; you cannot be blamed for being anxious and even neurotic at times. It’s normal to feel stressed during these times. Don’t let others put you down, or question your character because of how  you are feeling. But remember that even if things don’t work out this cycle, you will find a way in life. Tell yourself that. I am ready for a rejection. I have been rejected the past 2 years and I’m still here, staying hopeful. I will be upset if I am rejected again, but I will not give up. I will find a way, and so will you. I wish the best of luck to all of us on May 12th.

Very well said! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

Morning y'all! i reached out to omsas and hopefully this will give some people peace of mind! it seems like the button doesn't indicate an offer 

387174399_ScreenShot2020-05-08at9_57_18AM.png.f4a05815841ef8d5d139ec032a42ff05.png

Thanks for sharing this! If your chat is still going, would you be able to ask them why the "Reset Responses" button would show up for only some applicants then, considering that the button was indicative of offers in the past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"reset" button if applicants want to make changes before submitting acceptance to an offer

So we have an offer, but having a button or not doesn't indicate other offers in the future?

This is just more confusing if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rinzler said:

"reset" button if applicants want to make changes before submitting acceptance to an offer

MD PhD accepted applicants and applicants from previous cycles who were accepted all have the button as well. I think we can confidently say that button = offer and so far all ppl with buttons interviewed at mac and all those who did not interview at mac do not have buttons so i still believe button = mac offer as of now but the formula they used to reach such a disparity in GPA and CARS makes me think it was a lottery system. I would not be surprised if they backtrack on revealing their 'formula'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rinzler said:

"reset" button if applicants want to make changes before submitting acceptance to an offer

So we have an offer, but having a button or not doesn't indicate other offers in the future?

This is just more confusing if anything.

yeah. That wording makes me think even more that button = offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lizaloo223 said:

Has it been confirmed that people who didn't get accepted last cycle didn't get a button? 
 

maybe it is just a glitch and by May 12th everyone will have a button regardless 

i got 3 waitlists last cycle - checked omsas consistently - no "reset responses" button appeared on my omsas last year - never was made an offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, William Osler said:

MD PhD accepted applicants and applicants from previous cycles who were accepted all have the button as well. I think we can confidently say that button = offer and so far all ppl with buttons interviewed at mac and all those who did not interview at mac do not have buttons so i still believe button = mac offer as of now but the formula they used to reach such a disparity in GPA and CARS makes me think it was a lottery system. I would not be surprised if they backtrack on revealing their 'formula'

I agree with all these points.

And I also think that they used a lottery system to select offers. Wish I was trolling, but I really think they did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

I agree with all these points.

And I also think that they used a lottery system to select offers. Wish I was trolling, but I really think they did!

i'd hope medical admissions used a more sophisticated process to select their future candidates lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, nrcplstake said:

Morning y'all! i reached out to omsas and hopefully this will give some people peace of mind! it seems like the button doesn't indicate an offer 

387174399_ScreenShot2020-05-08at9_57_18AM.png.f4a05815841ef8d5d139ec032a42ff05.png

Funny little grammar mistake aha: Technically she/he just said the button IS related to an offer. You asked "the button IS NOT an indication of future offer" he/she said "Not at all". Implying your original statement was incorrect LUL. 

Obvs she/he meant "Yes, the button is NOT AT ALL related to an offer", but kinda funny. Maybe a tactic to avoid getting in trouble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

I agree with all these points.

And I also think that they used a lottery system to select offers. Wish I was trolling, but I really think they did!

I really hope Mac didn't just do a lottery.  

I have the button which we think at this point may mean offer, but I don't want to be given an offer just because my name was pulled out of a hot. As well I want to be with the best class as possible which won't happen if it was a lottery... 

Mac was my first choice but maybe not anymore... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

What did I tell y'a'll a few days ago...I'm still confident my prediction was correct that Mac will NOT release the formula and in offer letters will say something generic about how they chose people

I believe this too.

The question is: why would they wait so long to release it? If it was just a reweighting of the same three numbers they used for pre-interview, that's not really controversial, and no one could complain.

I think something must have REALLY changed for them to not want to release it. None of the stats for button vs. no button align (as people with high GPA, CARS, and CASPer - all three - do not see the button). They can't use ABS as the resources to gather assessors for 550+ applications is too overwhelming in a short period of time. References wouldn't really make a difference because most references would be good.

I just can't see any possibility where a reweighted formula works out. Maybe the button really is a sign of a Hunger Games reaping style selection process.

If so, may the odds be ever in your favour... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ontariopremed said:

i'd hope medical admissions used a more sophisticated process to select their future candidates lol

Skipping the interview process makes me doubt this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...