Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Just now, DrOtter said:

At this rate, it probs means that CASPer was weighed extremely heavily hence all the people with the button and less than perfect GPA and CARS. The rest are chosen based on a lottery hence a mix of low and high stats but middling CASPer. 

Now we can't really read anything from the stats and button, since more than half of acceptances are sent out completely randomly

1 minute ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

they never said casper tho

Fair! Do you think they would go strictly CARS/GPA though? That seems insane

1 minute ago, DrOtter said:

At this rate, it probs means that CASPer was weighed extremely heavily hence all the people with the button and less than perfect GPA and CARS. The rest are chosen based on a lottery hence a mix of low and high stats but middling CASPer. 

That's assuming the button is actually not a glitch

1 hour ago, YesIcan55 said:

So 100 people accepted non-lottery, and the rest 250 accepted via lottery. Damn so Mac 2023's are gonna be known as the lottery class lol 

I think "The Roulette's" has a great ring to it for a class name and would be a hilarious reference. I won't look down on them for being selected in a lottery (and I hope no one else does, they were the top 500) and I think the name would be a great reference that doesn't do anyone any harm. 

1 minute ago, macwhy123 said:

Wow. No button. 

132 CARS 3.97 GPA. Guess my CASPer wasn't top 100 quality.

Mac why

I don't think you should read it that way just yet. That's assuming people with the button were top 100 which seems unlikely. 

I can't get over this though. Beyond frustrating how out of our control this is.

Top 100 pre-interview ranked individuals (meaning 32%GPA 32%CARS 32% CASPer 1%MSc or 4%PhD boost) got accepted

The remaining 452 interviewees were randomly assigned to accept/waitlist/reject

~230 of the offers (Mac waitlist usually moves to 330s/550) will be from lottery either waitlist.

Why hasnt anyone asked HOW IS THE WAITLIST ORDER DETERMINED??? and how is the general order of accepted ppl determined for sake of campus selection

Just now, SoftTings said:

Also now if I get accepted I won't feel nearly as proud of my accomplishment... That might sound dramatic but I want to earn a spot in the 206, not the 552 and then a ping pong ball puts me in

You were still in the top 500 out of 5,000 applicants... Mac already typically accepts 50-60% of people. 

In any case, I couldn't care less, it's crossing the line that matters, not how I feel about it. 

Now, what is this going to do to waitlist movement? A random waitlist+people wanting to avoid being part of "The Roulettes?"

Just now, William Osler said:

Top 100 pre-interview ranked individuals (meaning 32%GPA 32%CARS 32% CASPer 1%MSc or 4%PhD boost) got accepted

The remaining 452 interviewees were randomly assigned to accept/waitlist/reject

~230 of the offers (Mac waitlist usually moves to 330s/550) will be from lottery either waitlist.

HOW IS THE WAITLIST ORDER DETERMINED THO?

Waitlist order is probably random as well lmao....

5 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

I am eagerly awaiting the studies that are going to be done on the people who got in using the lottery to see how their career arcs are similar/differ with people selected competitively (even if they already were the top 500!)

I'm betting not a lot of difference lol. People have been saying for so long how med school admission has become so competitive and arbitrary. 

This could be the push we need to overhaul how school looks for future doctors seeing that stats don't mean anything past a certain threshold.