Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

I agree with takasugi. I'm going to make a prediction that Mac waitlist movement is higher than normal as people with multiple offers try to avoid the potential consequences (probably overblown/unfounded, but who knows) of being selected by lottery. 

Who wants to be part of an involuntary experiment on their career if given a chance to opt out?

And look on the bright side, if you're ever operated on by a Mac '23 graduate, the odds they're lucky are great! :) 

1 minute ago, LetsTryThisAgain19 said:

While a lottery is not ideal, some people are getting real nasty with this whole idea that "you needed a lottery to get in"

While I understand the frustration, that ain't a good look chief

None of us know what is going to happen on Tuesday, let's at least be kind to each other.

... who's said this? I've said I personally won't feel as good if the lottery gets me in

No matter what, I am just going to be happy to get an offer at all and honestly Mac is probably my top choice school. I would hope that other students wouldn't look down on next years class simply because of how they were selected and instead that they will appreciate that they also worked extremely hard to get to where they are and will also likely become very competent doctors!!!

2 minutes ago, brattatat said:

Lol this also means next year there will be like 750 interviews for mac way to go

Highly unlikely. They remove 50-60% of their interview poll a year by offering them acceptances. Of the remaining 50-40%, a good chunk are going to be accepted somewhere else. 

That leaves a small group, who will have the same or better stats as last year in all likelihood, directly affecting interview status. 

4 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

... who's said this? I've said I personally won't feel as good if the lottery gets me in

Wasn't towards anyone specifically. Everyone has a right to their own personal preferences but there's a few comments literally saying things like you'll be a part of the class that needed a lottery to get in.

I just don't understand the benefit of the lottery? Like even if the order isn't perfectly indicative of how someone will be as a physician, what is the downside to sending offers to the top 206 ranked? It may be slightly better at selecting candidates, and even if it isn't it will result in fewer people being pissed off, and probably fewer people declining offers to not be associated with the "lottery year"