Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

22 minutes ago, DrOtter said:

I wonder if this will make it to the news. It is historic in so many ways.... :o

If CBC/CTV/whoever passes up an opportunity to break the COVID/"Economy sucks" news with this I would be surprised. This is quite news worthy and people are bored right now. Although, admittedly, the email does have the confidentiality clause. 

Now, the only question is who will be the first person to float the idea of starting a petition? :) (which I think is a bad idea TBH) 

1 minute ago, MedicineLCS said:

If CBC/CTV/whoever passes up an opportunity to break the COVID/"Economy sucks" news with this they are not thinking clearly. This is quite news worthy and people are bored right now. Although, admittedly, the email does have the confidentiality clause. 

Now, the only question is who will be the first person to float the idea of starting a petition? :) (which I think is a bad idea TBH) 

Anything can be done annonymously these days

Just now, supadupafly said:

The existence of mysteriously high-stat ppl with no button is likely due to lottery. Doesnt that make sense?

Some ppl have perfect stats and other indications of a good CASPer (along the lines of uO interview or OOP UofM interview which apparently requires a high CASPer) and no button

45 minutes ago, ejvrei said:

No matter what, I am just going to be happy to get an offer at all and honestly Mac is probably my top choice school. I would hope that other students wouldn't look down on next years class simply because of how they were selected and instead that they will appreciate that they also worked extremely hard to get to where they are and will also likely become very competent doctors!!!

No one cares, except naive pre-meds.

Anyone who doesn't already think getting into medical school after the interview stage isn't already based on alot of "luck" is full of themselves. 

Aside from maybe the top 50 of a class, the people who had multiple interviews across canada, most other people are replaceable with the people who got to the interview stage, but didn't get in post-interview. Even at big schools like UofT and UBC, you could take the next 100-200 even, who didn't make it to the interview stage and replace them with those who did get in...and you wouldn't be able to tell a huge amount of difference.

If you get an acceptance to Mac med, take it, if it was your top choice before this "decision' was made.

Just now, mdhopefullyidk said:

Any chance 127/3.95 makes the top 100 list or is my only chance the lottery? Never have been a lucky person :/ 

Your cGPA is great but the 127 is below average. The CASPer is a black box but my gut feeling is youre in the bottom 452. Just remember that the lottery is a randomized process and does not depend on your streak of good or bad luck (i'm sure you do know this tho)

24 minutes ago, William Osler said:

It was "fake" the moment they scrapped the MMI and any attempt of an interview. This is their best approximation for their class of 2023 and I actually like the fairness behind a random lottery.

I speculate this feeling of fairness would more-so be among those that eventually matriculate vs. rejected by the system

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Your cGPA is great but the 127 is below average. The CASPer is a black box but my gut feeling is youre in the bottom 452. Just remember that the lottery is a randomized process and does not depend on your streak of good or bad luck (i'm sure you do know this tho)

Agreed. Unless my Casper is nearly perfect it’s unlikely. Hope this button is worth something haha

1 minute ago, PharmaLife said:

Why do I feel some applicants will sue McMaster for having held this lottery :lol:?  

They can try, Mac and their legal army will laugh at them. When has anyone ever successfully taken on an institution via the courts and won in recent memory? There is no legal precedence. Breach of contract? Seems like a reach. Any JDs weigh in?