Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

1 minute ago, theinbetween said:

I have no idea. I think it honestly depends on the interview. But rooting for both of us!! Fingers crossed. I'm also SAI but a much lower wgpa lol

HeyMrSnowMan mentioned it depends strictly on interview performance for the higher scoring bins and then wGPA would matter only for ranking within lower bins for remaining seats...Fingers crossed for us too and even if not, hopefully we grow stronger and do even better next time!

Now that we're over Mac's announcement, a quick detour back to #butongate. Let's examine the evidence (repost for the newcomers with new updates)

- Successful MD PhD applicants this cycle have the button (UofT and UWO).

- One successful applicant in the previous cycle noted the button in their screenshot

- Unsuccessful applicants in previous cycles did not note the button. (However, some unsuccessful applicants in previous cycles did note the button?)

- All those with the button have one school in common - Mac; - All those without the button also did not interview at Mac. There is no reason why a glitch would appear for a specific subpopulation. 

- Clicking the button says "All offer responses reset" on OMSAS. 

- OMSAS live chat screenshot says "there is a "reset" button if applicants want to make changes before submitting acceptance to an offer." 

- "Reset Responses" is the name of the button, you only respond to an offer of acceptance. 

- There is a seemingly random spread for #buttongang, there was jokes before Mac dropped the bombshell of a lottery system due to this. However, many high stat applicants do not have buttons which leads some to believe that the top 100 will get buttons May 12

1 minute ago, pureblue said:

Why would OMSAS diffrentiate between this? Schools (Mac) just upload the offers to OMSAS, it's not like they get different offers. It doesn't really make sense that the top 100 alone wouldn't get the button but 101-206 get it, or am I missing something?

Unless they determined the top 100 first and uploaded it successfully and then determined lottery numbers afterwards that had the glitch? Idk doesn't really make sense

3 minutes ago, chrsyjun said:

People posting with high stats is starting to make me think either - top 100 will get notified on 12th, or that the buttons actually have no correlation

Although I'm not sure why this distinction will exist on OMSAS (i.e. only 103 lottery offers appear on OMSAS), I also support this theory until there is an explaination of why these high stat applicants are not in the top 100.

Maybe the #buttongang is Mac's 2 regional campuses offers? Top 100 likely ranked main campus first (as most do) and received that choice, which makes more sense for the lottery 103 to be sent to the regional campuses. OMSAS does note which campus you have been offered to. This is a more plausible explanation instead of OMSAS singling out the top 100 from the lottery 103. 

1 minute ago, William Osler said:

Although I'm not sure why this distinction will exist on OMSAS (i.e. only 103 lottery offers appear on OMSAS), I also support this theory until there is an explaination of why these high stat applicants are not in the top 100.

Maybe the buttongang is Mac's 2 regional campuses? Top 100 likely ranked main campus first and received the choice, which makes more sense for the lottery 103 to be sent to the regional campuses. OMSAS does note which campus you have been offered to.

To me, it seems like there are too many buttons for it to just be for regional campuses

Just now, dreamscometrue said:

I've posted before, but I had a 3.98 GPA, 130 CARS and interviewed at Ottawa too. I don't have the button, but a friend of mine with lower stats (who did not interview at Ottawa) has the button. I haven't seen anyone with stats similar to mine with a button.

So either button = meaningless glitch or button = lottery 103...

Just now, William Osler said:

40 buttons for 60 offers to regional campuses? Meh, I can believe it since everybody and their mother knows about this by now

But that would mean 60 buttons vs ~500 non-buttons. The poll would be overwhelmingly non-button, even with sampling biases