Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

4 minutes ago, chrsyjun said:

How many of yall are checking OMSAS/Western portal at midnight vs. checking in morning... idk which one's better/worse

I think I'm going to try my best to just use the email. I have only Mac. Knowing that OMSAS is unreliable in the midnight update, plus it was a new thing last cycle that might have been fixed this time and it's potentially a time waste to even check, I don't think I could stand the extreme anxiety of seeing no change. Logging in and seeing nothing would just make my anxiety worse than if I coast along until the email. But then you can also always check if you can't take it lol so waiting makes more sense to me

3 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

Okay, OMSAS midnight watch time. Now that it's May 11, any changes on OMSAS? Has someone checked the source code? OMSAS, SHOW US A SIGN!!!

you cannot 'check the source code' for what displays the button because the site's written in php. You can only see what html your browser ends up rendering, which is useless. it's probably just behind an if statement based on whether offers are present in the database for your user id, (same for links to accept offers showing up), except whoever coded it didn't think to put a time lock in the and statement as well (since normally it isnt obviously considered a time-sensitive element)

1 minute ago, interestingcashew said:

you cannot 'check the source code' for what displays the button because the site's written in php. You can only see what html your browser ends up rendering, which is useless. it's probably just behind an if statement based on whether offers are present in the database for your user id, (same for links to accept offers showing up), except whoever coded it didn't think to put a time lock in the and statement as well (since normally it isnt obviously considered a time-sensitive element)

so do u think the button means anything?

3 minutes ago, interestingcashew said:

UUwkXo-b6_sQREu70Fded3k5307h0oM5hexUOgU2iYM.jpg

4 minutes ago, interestingcashew said:

haha in all seriousness though, thank you for the reply! I was more referring to OMSAS in general rather than just the button, but I also appreciate a more technical opinion when it comes to buttongate.

1 hour ago, chrsyjun said:

How many of yall are checking OMSAS/Western portal at midnight vs. checking in morning... idk which one's better/worse

I think my curiosity is going to overpower me, and I'll be checking the Western portal at midnight lol...but I'll probably check here first so that I'm warned as to whether I should be expecting to see anything on the Western portal. As for OMSAS in general, I'll probably wait until the morning, since it seems like it's less consistent, and I don't want to get even more stressed out over seeing nothing.