Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

26 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

Any other repeat applicants here?

This is my 3rd time applying and I’m just about done trying anymore. 2 out of 3 of my referees notified me that they won’t be able to be my reference after this cycle. I have no idea how I’ll find new referees with the pandemic now severely limiting our volunteering options.

Multi-time applicant here,

My last application cycle prior to this one was in 2014-2015. It was painful tracking down verifiers from activities I did many many years ago. Thankfully I had new experiences and used referees from those activities.

As someone with an 80 hour work week, in a different career, having to deal with the commute and now the pandemic, there was simply no way to add on extra-circulars or volunteering. I am worried that if I do have to apply next year, they'll see that I haven't done much aside from my job.

Here's to hoping that we both get in and won't have to apply again.

Seriously though, this wait is feeling extra unbearable- at least April I was busy with finals and moving. Now that I'm done undergrad, settled in my new place, and just working from home a bit on a little bit of research, it feels impossible to take my mind off of the wait in all the "normal, pre-COVID" ways like keeping busy with jobs, and visiting friends and family, traveling, that #gymlife, etc... Anyone having any luck making this wait bearable?

13 minutes ago, hbmed said:

Seriously though, this wait is feeling extra unbearable- at least April I was busy with finals and moving. Now that I'm done undergrad, settled in my new place, and just working from home a bit on a little bit of research, it feels impossible to take my mind off of the wait in all the "normal, pre-COVID" ways like keeping busy with jobs, and visiting friends and family, traveling, that #gymlife, etc... Anyone having any luck making this wait bearable?

I have been sleeping a lot to make the days go by faster lmao

On 4/30/2020 at 1:35 PM, FBCforreal said:

any specific reason why they would say that? is there a time limit that they feel is appropriate? 

On 4/30/2020 at 1:35 PM, YesIcan55 said:

Why did they say that?

My referees felt that too much time has passed since our professional relationship. I’m in my mid-20s and these referees are from 4-7 years ago. I don’t blame them for thinking too much time has passed. 
I blame myself partly for not getting close to any new supervisors in the past couple of years. But yes, this summer is going to be very difficult for me if I don’t get in. 

33 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

My referees felt that too much time has passed since our professional relationship. I’m in my mid-20s and these referees are from 4-7 years ago. I don’t blame them for thinking too much time has passed. 
I blame myself partly for not getting close to any new supervisors in the past couple of years. But yes, this summer is going to be very difficult for me if I don’t get in. 

Hey, just so you know, you aren't alone. I also feel like my references are 'expiring' very soon, and I'll be lucky to have 2/3 next cycle if I have to reapply. I might have to skip an application year just to create new connections and find new references. 

1 hour ago, FrannieLydon said:

Does anyone know what time OMSAS normally releases the results on May 12? 

Last year at midnight you could see if you were admitted or not on OMSAS. If you were not admitted, you did not know if you were waitlisted or rejected until the am when schools email. Sometime between 8-10am

7 minutes ago, swoman said:

Last year at midnight you could see if you were admitted or not on OMSAS. If you were not admitted, you did not know if you were waitlisted or rejected until the am when schools email. Sometime between 8-10am

darn will have to think if I should check or not check...