Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Psych

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Would anyone consider trying to defer for a year if they got accepted? Due to how significantly next year will be impacted by COVID? The thought has crossed my mind

I wouldn't defer. I think the schools would do their best to ensure we still receive a high quality education from home. I mostly feel bad for those in clerkship, but I think the preclerkship years can be covered quite well online, with maybe some additional clinical teaching sessions to make up for that lost in person component

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys you wont be allowed to defer from matriculation unless you have a really good reason. All of us are affected by this at a baseline level, this wont fly

Clinical exposure early on is very important to picking a specialty tho. Mac does a decent job at this out of both choice and necessity as a 3 year program. However, due to COVID-19, this will not be possible, just keep that into consideration when youre choosing between multiple offers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, William Osler said:

Guys you wont be allowed to defer from matriculation unless you have a really good reason. All of us are affected by this at a baseline level, this wont fly

It's impossible to say since this situation has never occurred in recent history. It's a global pandemic, I think if anybody really wanted to they could probably make a pretty strong case for a deferral. Exactly how each school would handle it, of course I'm not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoftTings said:

It's impossible to say since this situation has never occurred in recent history. It's a global pandemic, I think if anybody really wanted to they could probably make a pretty strong case for a deferral. Exactly how each school would handle it, of course I'm not sure

Everybody would make the same case tho and if schools allow one to defer, others will try. Mass deferral of acceptances will create imbalanced class sizes and take spots away from those next year which cannot happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't defer either if I had the option. I just want to get started! 

And yeah, I don't think they'll give you an option to defer just because it's online. The amount of people that would defer I think would not be insignificant and would complicate things too much. I don't think its a good enough reason either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

It's impossible to say since this situation has never occurred in recent history. It's a global pandemic, I think if anybody really wanted to they could probably make a pretty strong case for a deferral. Exactly how each school would handle it, of course I'm not sure

I agree. but I just want to echo that just because some classes are online at the start and we won't have an O week, do not let that stop you from starting this beautiful journey you've worked so hard to start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Everybody would make the same case tho and if schools allow one to defer, others will try. Mass deferral of acceptances will create imbalanced class sizes and take spots away from those next year which cannot happen

The general point I'm making is that it's impossible to say anything with certainty. It's a global pandemic, the likes of which nobody involved in the process has experienced in their lifetime. We really don't know how schools will handle it, and how accommodating they may be

Since the global situation is so extreme, in a way we are all experiencing "extenuating circumstances". But again, who knows how the schools may interpret that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

The general point I'm making is that it's impossible to say anything with certainty. It's a global pandemic, the likes of which nobody involved in the process has experienced in their lifetime. We really don't know how schools will handle it, and how accommodating they may be

Since the global situation is so extreme, in a way we are all experiencing "extenuating circumstances". But again, who knows how the schools may interpret that

The current situation doesn't remove the downstream impact on our system if there are not enough doctors to meet demands in the coming years. I can almost guarantee that if you do not have a compelling case (e.g. a severely sick family member) during this pandemic, you will be expected to start your medical education on track. This isn't about the best optimal educational experience for YOU (the individual), it's about training enough competent doctors to meet the needs of society (and that certainly does not stop during a pandemic). That's not to say you won't receive a quality education; it may just not be as traditional as in previous years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yungdoc said:

The current situation doesn't remove the downstream impact on our system if there are not enough doctors to meet demands in the coming years. I can almost guarantee that if you do not have a compelling case (e.g. a severely sick family member) during this pandemic, you will be expected to start your medical education on track. This isn't about the best optimal educational experience for YOU (the individual), it's about training enough competent doctors to meet the needs of society (and that certainly does not stop during a pandemic). 

Agreed. It’s just not enough of a unique/strong reason to warrant a deferral since everyone is going through it. It’d be like saying that a war going on is stressing you out. It’s valid, but doesn’t affect you specifically. Most deferrals I’ve heard of are about finishing grad degrees, caring for children/loved ones during a particularly turblent time, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The year may start off different, but I imagine they'll all find ways to make up for lost clinical skills time and all the other fun things like O-week and the WC/stethoscope ceremonies. No matter what you end up doing in the next year, it's gonna look different from what would have been. Plus, I'm far less concerned about the impact of a pandemic on year one than the rest of the years (esp. clinical years). It's a challenging, frustrating, and sometimes depressing situation, absolutely, but there's not much anyone can do but make the best of it and trust that things will rebound and we'll do our best to make up for losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, short_stack said:

I'm referring to the checking again the next day, if you don't see something right away. Do they mean next day like May 13? 

Schools should have let you know by end of May 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hbmed said:

The year may start off different, but I imagine they'll all find ways to make up for lost clinical skills time and all the other fun things like O-week and the WC/stethoscope ceremonies. No matter what you end up doing in the next year, it's gonna look different from what would have been. Plus, I'm far less concerned about the impact of a pandemic on year one than the rest of the years (esp. clinical years). It's a challenging, frustrating, and sometimes depressing situation, absolutely, but there's not much anyone can do but make the best of it and trust that things will rebound and we'll do our best to make up for losses.

Can confirm that we are already looking at ways to make all the class bonding stuff happen, including the possibility of more celebrations later in the year! Us preclerks are in the best possible position right now in terms of impact on our academics. Many schools are also looking at the possibility of keeping some components online even after this situation settles - we're going to be seeing a major shift in curriculum in the coming years, so don't let online learning freak you out too much. We've been online since March so feel free to message me with any questions about how that stuff is expected to run and I'll do my best to answer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...