Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Psych

May 12 Countdown Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Anon_9 said:

According to this OMSAS live chatter, it seems that OMSAS offers will be updated on midnight. Though she said that we should check again the next day in case they don't appear right away.

 

OMSAS Midnight Offers.jpg

Thank you for sharing this! So it is possible that an offer may not show up on OMSAS at midnight but may appear the next morning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CHG said:

Can confirm that we are already looking at ways to make all the class bonding stuff happen, including the possibility of more celebrations later in the year! Us preclerks are in the best possible position right now in terms of impact on our academics. Many schools are also looking at the possibility of keeping some components online even after this situation settles - we're going to be seeing a major shift in curriculum in the coming years, so don't let online learning freak you out too much. We've been online since March so feel free to message me with any questions about how that stuff is expected to run and I'll do my best to answer :)

Out of reactions but thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my thoughts: OMSAS will update at 12 am tonight. Based on a previous post in this thread, OUAC has been doing that consistently for other professional schools.

Last year, for people who did not receive the update at 12 and did the next morning, that was potentially a glitch since it was the first year of the new interface. Still possible that might happen this year. Worth keeping some hope.

Were there a lot of people last year that did not see an acceptance but received one later in the day? I'm curious if it was connected to a specific school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, hbmed said:

The year may start off different, but I imagine they'll all find ways to make up for lost clinical skills time and all the other fun things like O-week and the WC/stethoscope ceremonies. No matter what you end up doing in the next year, it's gonna look different from what would have been. Plus, I'm far less concerned about the impact of a pandemic on year one than the rest of the years (esp. clinical years). It's a challenging, frustrating, and sometimes depressing situation, absolutely, but there's not much anyone can do but make the best of it and trust that things will rebound and we'll do our best to make up for losses.

couldn't agree with this more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CHG said:

Can confirm that we are already looking at ways to make all the class bonding stuff happen, including the possibility of more celebrations later in the year! Us preclerks are in the best possible position right now in terms of impact on our academics. Many schools are also looking at the possibility of keeping some components online even after this situation settles - we're going to be seeing a major shift in curriculum in the coming years, so don't let online learning freak you out too much. We've been online since March so feel free to message me with any questions about how that stuff is expected to run and I'll do my best to answer :)

i appreciate hearing this so much, thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really don't know how things are going to change over the next few months. Think about how things have changed since March, and that's only a few months in the past. Who knows what late August is going to look like. I think there is definitely still a possibility we have a semi normal first semester, with certain safeguards in place. Saying everything is going to be cancelled based is only pessimistic at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re OMSAS midnight drop

Does every school release your campus along with the offer on the OMSAS interface? Ive seen MAM (Missisagua Academy of Medicine) TDR MDR (Toronto/McMaster Downtown Region) in the past. 

Last year, few applicants saw no change at midnight and received an offer from an email. It was not linked to a particular school as all schools (except for NOSM likely due to the few number of interviewees) reported seing offers at midnight - Hope that helps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HugeEuge said:

We really don't know how things are going to change over the next few months. Think about how things have changed since March, and that's only a few months in the past. Who knows what late August is going to look like. I think there is definitely still a possibility we have a semi normal first semester, with certain safeguards in place. Saying everything is going to be cancelled based is only pessimistic at this point.

Hey, Im from Quebec and I've seen that you guys have been very active on this post. Just to be sure I understand, McMaster is going to do a lottery with the 500 people left in order to see who's getting a place in medical school ? Why didn't they use the Casper or the MCAT ? Also GODDAM you GUYS must be SO STRESSED! stay strong!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, guiboss12 said:

Hey, Im from Quebec and I've seen that you guys have been very active on this post. Just to be sure I understand, McMaster is going to do a lottery with the 500 people left in order to see who's getting a place in medical school ? Why didn't they use the Casper or the MCAT ? Also GODDAM you GUYS must be SO STRESSED! stay strong!!!

image.png.2ee115f334745120dbe5e157da6d64eb.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, guiboss12 said:

Hey, Im from Quebec and I've seen that you guys have been very active on this post. Just to be sure I understand, McMaster is going to do a lottery with the 500 people left in order to see who's getting a place in medical school ? Why didn't they use the Casper or the MCAT ? Also GODDAM you GUYS must be SO STRESSED! stay strong!!!

Salut mon ami,

550 applicants ranked pre-interview

Take out the indigenous applicants and admit them

Admit the top 100 by pre-interview rank

The remaining 450 are randomized into accept waitlist and reject

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, MDLD said:

what is your thoughts on thie lottery system? 

Glad you had a good experience at Mac. Mac was my first choice before this lottery now I am not so sure. 

A bit late to reply, but I think mac has always prided itself on "giving a chance to the underdog/nontraditional" applicant wihtout the 4.0, 99th percentile mcat, who would otherwise excell in medicine. Perhaps they thought if they just took the top gpa/mcat then they would be giving offers to the exact same applicants as u of t, ottawa, western etc. If the top 250 would get offers to other schools anyway, why not reach out to people in the 400ish ranking who theoretically could have rallied the interview to get in? I think they could have used casper but perhaps they thought it wasn't transparent enough, and random would be most fair. Disclosure: I had a not great GPA but an ok mcat and assumed i did well on capser, and did ok on the interview and accepted off the waitlist. I'm someone who perhaps if had a rough day on interview day would have only have gotten in with a lottery, so im a little sympathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...