Premed 101 Forums

U of T WGPA SCORE

19 hours ago, HugeEuge said:

I remember in the past someone on here had a link to an old UofT admissions presentation where they disclosed the pre interview scoring breakdown. At that time, gpa accounted for 60% of the pre interview score, but who knows if that's what they still use.

This information is outdated. GPA no longer accounts for 60% of the pre-interview score. The most recent video that was released by UofT in 2018 explained that that GPA is used as a cut-off but it is competitive in the sense that it changes every year based on the pool of applicants. Above the cut-off, GPA does not play a factor. Once you pass the GPA-screening stage you will undergo a full file review (ABS, ECs, Essays, and LORs) to receive an interview. The post-interview formula is 50% interview and 50% pre-interview file score (does not include GPA). 

This was back in 2018, and the video has been deleted, so things may have changed. They no longer disclose their selection criteria. 

23 minutes ago, RiderSx said:

This information is outdated. GPA no longer accounts for 60% of the pre-interview score. The most recent video that was released by UofT in 2018 explained that that GPA is used as a cut-off but it is competitive in the sense that it changes every year based on the pool of applicants. Above the cut-off, GPA does not play a factor. Once you pass the GPA-screening stage you will undergo a full file review (ABS, ECs, Essays, and LORs) to receive an interview. The post-interview formula is 50% interview and 50% pre-interview file score (does not include GPA). 

This was back in 2018, and the video has been deleted, so things may have changed. They no longer disclose their selection criteria. 

I think that the concept of cutoffs may be misleading. Surely I t’s no coincidence that there are “mediocre EC” applicants with 4.0’s and superhuman applicants with 3.8’s that get in? 

sure, everyone over the cutoff gets a full file review, but couldn’t the pre-interview score still somewhat favour ppl with higher GPA’s (Eg: 50% GPA, as long as over the cutoffs and 50% non-academics)?

4 minutes ago, FBCforreal said:

I think that the concept of cutoffs may be misleading. Surely I t’s no coincidence that there are “mediocre EC” applicants with 4.0’s and superhuman applicants with 3.8’s that get in? 

sure, everyone over the cutoff gets a full file review, but couldn’t the pre-interview score still somewhat favour ppl with higher GPA’s (Eg: 50% GPA, as long as over the cutoffs and 50% non-academics)?

I also feel like GPA is likely used as more than a cutoff. I know undergrad applicants with 3.8~ GPA who got interviews, so the supposed cutoff can't be higher than that. And if GPA is not considered at all after the cutoff, it doesn't make sense that their average accepted GPA is around 3.95. 

3 hours ago, redbeanbun said:

I also feel like GPA is likely used as more than a cutoff. I know undergrad applicants with 3.8~ GPA who got interviews, so the supposed cutoff can't be higher than that. And if GPA is not considered at all after the cutoff, it doesn't make sense that their average accepted GPA is around 3.95. 

I agree. I remember in one of the Q&A videos the admissions team does every year they discussed how GPA is used as a cutoff, but also competitively. Even after the cutoff, those with higher GPAs have an advantage in general.