Premed 101 Forums

36 minutes ago, saralovescience said:

Congratulations!

Also an update- I received my offer of admission today! I will be accepting as it is my first choice. :)

Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance!

Did you receive your offer through email or did your status change on mosaic? Did you also apply to any other grad programs?

22 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

To those accepted, did you take a lot of Global Health courses in undergrad to help with your application, or does that not matter?

My undergrad was in Biomedical sciences, but when I visited the department prior to applying I was told applicants have a wide variety of backgrounds (not related to Global health). I think what helped my application is I had a lot of volunteer experiences with marginalized communities.

28 minutes ago, PA12 said:

Hey! Congratulations on your acceptance!

Did you receive your offer through email or did your status change on mosaic? Did you also apply to any other grad programs?

Thank you! I received an email from the department and then the change was reflected on Mosaic. I applied to Western's Global health program too :)

49 minutes ago, MedGoldfish said:

To those accepted, did you take a lot of Global Health courses in undergrad to help with your application, or does that not matter?

Hey, I didn't! I actually only took one global health-esque course in my 4th year, but other than that I had a regular McMaster Life Sci undergrad. I don't think it matters how experienced in global health you are as long as you proved to them how passionate you are about the field, your extra-curricular experiences, and had the grades to show them you can manage Mac's academic intensity.

Just now, healthhannah said:

Hey guys! Do we think acceptances are being sent out in waves? A few people mentioned getting acceptances earlier this week and even last. I haven't received one yet and am getting worried. 

I was also wondering this and called the admissions office today, they said until mid May they are sending out admission decisions as they go because they can only process a certain number of applicants a day. She said its in a random order and not based on ranking or something. 

18 minutes ago, Canikickit120 said:

I was also wondering this and called the admissions office today, they said until mid May they are sending out admission decisions as they go because they can only process a certain number of applicants a day. She said its in a random order and not based on ranking or something. 

Honestly don't sweat it! From my experience and experiences of friends who have applied in the past, many never heard anything until random points throughout the summer. If you haven't received an official rejection or waitlist notice, stay optimistic because it could mean your acceptance could come at some point soon :)

3 hours ago, Canikickit120 said:

Interesting.. I called them too today, and they told me that acceptances are being sent on as-per a ranking order! We should hear back until 15 May. I am not sure I will get in at this time (due to a low academic average), but definitely working to improve that for next year!

8 minutes ago, dollar_007 said:

To those who have been accepted, may I know the day of the deadline and how long they give you to accept or reject the offer?

From what I see they didn't specify a specific date, they just wrote as soon as possible 

33 minutes ago, Canikickit120 said:

From what I see they didn't specify a specific date, they just wrote as soon as possible 

I see. Do they say anything regarding the current situation of the pandemic? Can a student decide to defer due to the current circumstance? 

6 minutes ago, gh2020 said:

Do you guys think they are done with giving admissions? because they did say all admission decisions will be out by Mid-May :( 

I don't think so! There's still a week until mid-May so I'm holding out hope haha

2 minutes ago, sr9 said:

I don't think so! There's still a week until mid-May so I'm holding out hope haha

I don't think so, because the admissions people told that admissions come out till mid May. It is hard to know though, because it seems like a lot of offers are already out and there are a few spots.

Yeah! That was what I was thinking. It does seem like a lot of offers have already went out so that’s why I thought that starting next week they will start sending out decisions regarding waitlist/rejections :(

Because when I contacted them they said “admission decisions” but didn’t say “offers of admission” will be sent out till mid may. 

4 minutes ago, gh2020 said:

Yeah! That was what I was thinking. It does seem like a lot of offers have already went out so that’s why I thought that starting next week they will start sending out decisions regarding waitlist/rejections :(

Because when I contacted them they said “admission decisions” but didn’t say “offers of admission” will be sent out till mid may. 

That makes sense to me, but I guess we can only wait to find out. I don't want to be pessimistic about this, because they did say that these decisions were not coming out by a ranking order. But it makes sense that they would send offers in the first week, and waitlist/rejections in the second. 

17 hours ago, gh2020 said:

When I emailed them, they said "offers" will be released until mid May- so I'm not sure wording makes a difference! 

37 minutes ago, GreenSnakeMedic said:

I called them today, and they said that they "have sent out acceptances and may be sending more". Assuming that they are waiting for people to reject offers before sending out a few more offers, waitlist etc. Good luck guys!

"

I wonder if they're waiting for OMSAS to release the med admissions tomorrow to see if anyone rejects the offer.