Premed 101 Forums

Need some advice please

Hello everyone,

Sorry to create a new thread of this sort, but I don't think my situation is quite the same as others on this thread.
Basically, I'm wondering if I have a chance to get into an MD program or if I should just give up at this point.

I'm studying physiotherapy at UdeM, currently at my last year of undergrad. Doing the masters next year.

Grades: 1rst year UG: 2.74, 2nd year UG: 3.68, 3rd year UG: 3.95 (projected) , cGPA: 3.31
(these grades are calculated on a 4.0 scale according to my % final grades, because UdeM grades are on a 4.3 scale)

My first year is really bad due to many extenuating circumstances piled up (that I can prove), and the upward trend is related to the fact that these extenuating circumstances are now gone and taken care of. Without my first year, my cGPA goes up to a 3.815

I'm wondering two things:
1) Considering this, should I take my MCAT? I don't have to take it because I'm a Quebec citizen, but if it will help I may take it.
2) If, considering the upward trend + the fact that I'll have a Masters (with good grades hopefully), and potentially a great MCAT (if I end up taking it), is it worth a shot? Maybe at McGill with the extenuating circumstances portion? Or any other university potentially?

Thank you for any type of input, it is much appreciated. I'm a realist, so no need to sugarcoat anything, just let me know if it's worth pursuing (spending money on MCAT + continuing ECs during my Master's), or to just accept the fact that it is not possible.

Hey!

So while there is no guarantee with even a perfect GPA or MCAT score those things definitely help. However, I would not say you are a lost cause! 

I don't know much about Quebec schools however if you consider schools in Ontario you have a chance if you are able to keep that GPA high. 

Each school in Ontario look at GPA differently, so best to look at each medical school's website and make a chart. 

On the top of my head: 

Queens takes your last two years and Western takes your best two years  (so if you do well in this year and next year you should be good). 

Ottawa does weighted GPA so with a good upwards trend you could have a shot there. 

And McMaster does culmative however their cut off is 3.0 and people have been know to get in with low GPAs. 

If this is something you want to pursue I would say there is no reason NOT to take you MCAT. 

Note thought that EC and MCAT score is also important so make sure you are working to be a well rounded candidate.  

3 hours ago, MDLD said:

Hey!

So while there is no guarantee with even a perfect GPA or MCAT score those things definitely help. However, I would not say you are a lost cause! 

I don't know much about Quebec schools however if you consider schools in Ontario you have a chance if you are able to keep that GPA high. 

Each school in Ontario look at GPA differently, so best to look at each medical school's website and make a chart. 

On the top of my head: 

Queens takes your last two years and Western takes your best two years  (so if you do well in this year and next year you should be good). 

Ottawa does weighted GPA so with a good upwards trend you could have a shot there. 

And McMaster does culmative however their cut off is 3.0 and people have been know to get in with low GPAs. 

If this is something you want to pursue I would say there is no reason to take you MCAT. 

Note thought that EC and MCAT score is also important so make sure you are working to be a well rounded candidate.  

Thank you so much for your input! So just to make sure I understand, I should not take the MCAT as it isn't quite necessary? and Queens/Western may be feasible (3.815 average without the first year), hopefully? Ottawa gives me a wGPA of 3.65, which is better, but not quite competitive I think. 

1 hour ago, halimed said:

Are you going to be doing a fourth year? western requires a 3.7 for each of the two years. You will also need to take the MCAT for both Queens/Western/McMaster and score quite well especially in CARS. Not sure about quebec universities. 

Can't do a fourth year as my undergrad is a continuum, so I have to automatically do a masters next year in order to be able to practice as a PT in Quebec. For Western, I have 3.68 for one year and 3.95  (predicted) for the other.... will a 3.68 be okay or is it really a rigid cut-off? I know I'd be on the lower end but if it's worth a shot I'll send in the application just to see what comes out of it.

1 hour ago, _Bubbles_ said:

Thank you so much for your input! So just to make sure I understand, I should not take the MCAT as it isn't quite necessary? and Queens/Western may be feasible (3.815 average without the first year), hopefully? Ottawa gives me a wGPA of 3.65, which is better, but not quite competitive I think. 

sorry no reason NOT to take your MCAT... double negatives haha. 

I think taking your MCAT is the next logical move. 

28 minutes ago, _Bubbles_ said:

Can't do a fourth year as my undergrad is a continuum, so I have to automatically do a masters next year in order to be able to practice as a PT in Quebec. For Western, I have 3.68 for one year and 3.95  (predicted) for the other.... will a 3.68 be okay or is it really a rigid cut-off? I know I'd be on the lower end but if it's worth a shot I'll send in the application just to see what comes out of it.

oh I did not know you were in a 3 year program. I Don't know much about that. Can you stay an extra year or perhaps do another degree.  A Master degree can be helpful and can not be, depends on the school. 

12 hours ago, MDLD said:

oh I did not know you were in a 3 year program. I Don't know much about that. Can you stay an extra year or perhaps do another degree.  A Master degree can be helpful and can not be, depends on the school. 

I don't think staying another year is even possible .... I'm studying through the Quebec stream so cegep students usually do 3 year undergrads afterwards here. I finished all my required courses (at the end of april) for my degree, is there any possible way that I could even delay it? 
Could I apply with one year of bachelors after my masters or would I have to do minimum 60 credits with a completed 2nd degree in order to apply again?

The fact that you did improve after your first year proves that you are able to do it! Don't give up! If you apply to McGill, they will consider your extenuating circumstances. I think it's good that it happened to you in the first year and not later... It shows that you are capable of improving yourself. With a good CV, a great performance on your Casper and MMIs... you could be fine. You seem to have the potential, anyway. If I was on the selection commitee, I would not turn you down because of that. We can only hope they think like me, lol!

Otherwise, one solution to make another year would be to start another bachelors ... but at this point, it would probably be better to do your master's degree since it brings you a better plan B. I'm not familiar with the physio program... since it's since it is a bachelors-masters path, will you get a bachelor's degree now, or do you have to wait until you finish your master's degree before you graduate?

As for the MCAT, I cannot comment because I never wrote it. But if you have time and it's something you want to do, go for it. Worst case, if your score is not sufficient, do not submit it to McGill and Ottawa. The only reasons I see not doing it are time and money. For me it weighed in the balance anyway haha, and that's ok.

22 hours ago, _Bubbles_ said:

The english stream at Ottawa medical school does not require the mcat but has a wGPA cut-off of 3.85 (excellence of marks) for IP applicants. I would suggest doing another year or two to raise your wGPA before applying. Good luck! 

On 4/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, MDLD said:

probably best to talk to an advisor at your school. I know at Mac you can do continuing education.  Does your program do minors? I had a friend that added a minor near the end of the degree so she could do a 5th year and use that GPA. 

I think continuing ed is possible at my school, I'll look into doing it post-grad/ potentially starting a second undergrad after graduating if I'm up to it. I'm so close to becoming a PT that I think the safest route is doing the masters in order to have that career as back-up. Thanks for all the advice :)

On 4/7/2020 at 12:21 PM, Mel96b said:

The fact that you did improve after your first year proves that you are able to do it! Don't give up! If you apply to McGill, they will consider your extenuating circumstances. I think it's good that it happened to you in the first year and not later... It shows that you are capable of improving yourself. With a good CV, a great performance on your Casper and MMIs... you could be fine. You seem to have the potential, anyway. If I was on the selection commitee, I would not turn you down because of that. We can only hope they think like me, lol!

Otherwise, one solution to make another year would be to start another bachelors ... but at this point, it would probably be better to do your master's degree since it brings you a better plan B. I'm not familiar with the physio program... since it's since it is a bachelors-masters path, will you get a bachelor's degree now, or do you have to wait until you finish your master's degree before you graduate?

As for the MCAT, I cannot comment because I never wrote it. But if you have time and it's something you want to do, go for it. Worst case, if your score is not sufficient, do not submit it to McGill and Ottawa. The only reasons I see not doing it are time and money. For me it weighed in the balance anyway haha, and that's ok.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm definitely going to give it a shot and if I don't get in at least I'll have stats to base myself upon (rankings). I'm getting my bachelors of science now once I finish my exams in April I guess, and after in September I start my masters, and from there I am a fully trained PT.

I'm definitely hesitating for the MCAT because of the time, and especially the money haha. I may give it a shot one year without it and depending on my stats take the MCAT the following year if I end up deeming it helpful. I may change my mind and end up doing it this year though haha, still thiking about it.

Thanks again, really appreciated your input :)

On 4/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, ottawa1234 said:

The english stream at Ottawa medical school does not require the mcat but has a wGPA cut-off of 3.85 (excellence of marks) for IP applicants. I would suggest doing another year or two to raise your wGPA before applying. Good luck! 

Thanks! Will take note of that. :)