Premed 101 Forums

Dent Debt

Hello,

I got into the UBC DMD program. I am from Ontario so moving to BC is essentially a new start to life. I was looking at the tuition and cost of living ... and it's really expensive.  I was wondering how everything is financed & how long will it take to pay back. I am a bit worried looking at how much this will all cost. Advice would be greatly appreciated (if anyone is from ubc dmd, your input would be awesome).  

(I am also unsure where I will practice yet... will I stay in BC or come back home to Ontario) 

On 4/7/2020 at 2:02 PM, jenkins said:

Hello,

I got into the UBC DMD program. I am from Ontario so moving to BC is essentially a new start to life. I was looking at the tuition and cost of living ... and it's really expensive.  I was wondering how everything is financed & how long will it take to pay back. I am a bit worried looking at how much this will all cost. Advice would be greatly appreciated (if anyone is from ubc dmd, your input would be awesome).  

(I am also unsure where I will practice yet... will I stay in BC or come back home to Ontario) 

Essentially, you'll have to apply for OSAP and a line of credit (LOC) from a bank.  I know that RBC has LOCs for $350K for dental and medical students.  I'm not sure how much OSAP will lend to you for attending a domestic dental school, but I would imagine it's more than what I got for going to an Australian dental school ($9200/ year  from 2012-2015).  As a practicing dentist, I find RBC offers the best service and products for health care professionals.  I was initially with TD, but found them very unhelpful.

I personally graduated with around 280k in debt (OSAP, dental school, cost of living) since I had no financial help. I expect to pay it off within 3-5 years. However, with this Covid situation, my debt level is stagnant and not very reassuring to look at. As a new grad in a decently busy practice, you should be able to make at least 10k a month. Some of my classmates are making 20k+ a month in rural areas. So it all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice once you graduate. 

14 hours ago, ruralDDS said:

I personally graduated with around 280k in debt (OSAP, dental school, cost of living) since I had no financial help. I expect to pay it off within 3-5 years. However, with this Covid situation, my debt level is stagnant and not very reassuring to look at. As a new grad in a decently busy practice, you should be able to make at least 10k a month. Some of my classmates are making 20k+ a month in rural areas. So it all depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice once you graduate. 

What year did you graduate if you don't mind me asking?