Premed 101 Forums

Travelling during the summers in med school?

I've been saving up for years for a big Europe trip and it doesn't look like it'll be able to happen this summer. If I get accepted to medical school this year, will it be possible to travel for 4-8 weeks in the summer after my first year?

The reason I ask is because I've heard that you should get research or other med-related work/volunteer experience in the summers during med school in order to be competitive for residency. 

I know this is a silly thing to be worrying about right now, but I've been pretty sad and I'm just trying to find something to look forward to.

As long as your Med school doesn't run through the summer,  yes you can take time for an extended trip. (Although 8 weeks may be too much).  Many Med students will opt for a research opportunity and to make money, but it is not necessary.    Taking some time to look after mental health and unwind may be a better use of the time.

1 hour ago, Meridian said:

As long as your Med school doesn't run through the summer,  yes you can take time for an extended trip. (Although 8 weeks may be too much).  Many Med students will opt for a research opportunity and to make money, but it is not necessary.    Taking some time to look after mental health and unwind may be a better use of the time.

Cry in 3 year program 

My brother and I used the summers in 1st and 2nd year to travel. I can't possibly be out for 8 weeks in a row but we did take 2 2-week trips each summer. It's possible in 4 year professional programs, just got to plan around research opportunities and work/externships. Also, use the points from your LOC credit cards, they come in handy 

Summers in med school are strictly for R & R, the next occasion to take time off will be retirement! With an upperclassman, I did a 3 week literature review that was published. Work is a zero sum gain as the bursary is reduced by the amount of employment income you receive.

• 2 years later...

My sister graduated from medical university about two years ago. Every summer, she found a few weeks to go somewhere and relax. If you don't take a break from work, you can spend all your strength. When applying to a hospital, doctors will look at your real skills, not the number of hours worked in residency.  I advise you to fly to Costa Rica next summer on tours from www.costaricafocus.com. I was there in 2019, and I liked it. Tropical regions are good for their unusual nature and diverse wildlife. I wanted to fly to Chile as well.

• 7 months later...

Many med students take some time off during the summer to relax and recharge before starting their next academic year. While getting research or other medical-related experience can be helpful for residency applications, it's also important to take care of yourself and prioritize your mental health. Travelling can be a great way to do that!