Premed 101 Forums

PT Program at McGill

Hi everyone,

I'm graduating this summer as class of 2020 (despite what's going on) and it's probably premature to even worry about this but I was wondering about the PT program at McGill university.

I'm going to U of G for their bachelor of arts and science program and I know for the PT program at McGill and at most PT programs around Canada the prerequisite courses are the general bio, chem, physics, calc, anatomy, physio, etc. courses but I read that those who take the undergrad at McGill for the bachelor of science in rehabilitation sciences major in PT already have a reserved spot for the PT program but if you have an undergrad at another university (which I plan to do) and have the prerequisites, then you have to take the qualifying year for the master of science in PT at McGill and if you remain at a certain gpa for the whole year you get a reserved spot? I'm wondering if I can get more help and more info on this, whether my choice of undergrad (bachelor of arts and sciences) will affect my chances in any way, how the whole admission works, what should I take for my undergrad to maximize my chances, and whether it's even worth going to McGill or not. By the sounds of this, by not taking my undergrad at McGill, I'll have to end up taking an extra year there (which would be three years) if I want to attend their PT program, whereas if I just go to another PT school at a university in Ontario, I'll be taking just the two years than three.

Originally I was planning on going to U of T for their PT program after my undergrad but I've always wanted to attend McGill and originally had wanted to take their bachelor of arts and sciences program but my parents thought i was too young to move to another province by myself. I figured by the time I finish undergrad I'll be around 22-23 and probably will be able to at that point. I know I'm not even in university yet but I mean I'm just sitting around in quarantine at this point so might as well plan ahead so that I can plan the right courses and make the right moves ahead of time.

Can you guys give me more insight on this? Thanks in advanced :)

Montreal is beautiful and from what I have heard the PT program there is very good.  I applied to this program, have not heard back yet but this is what I have learned while researching the school. When you apply to the program from an outside university you will be required to take a "qualifying year" which is essentially the final year of undergrad for the rehab science bachelors degree students (not quite but..)- so you will be attending classes with the undergraduate students in that program. From what I can remember I believe the only pre-reqs for the program were anatomy and physiology but you'll want to double check that, but it would be beneficial to take all your other science courses + stats if you intend to apply to other PT schools, which I would recommend. Most PT schools don't take into account what your undergraduate degree is in as long as you have good grades and all the pre-reqs required for the program. I would recommend taking what ever courses that you are interested in that you feel you would be able to receive good marks in. I personally took a BSc. in kinesiology because it was pretty relevant to PT and I loved it and I found that it was way less stressful than doing a typical BSc. degree. Most schools will use a variation of essentially the last two years worth of grades or only 300/400 level courses, where as McGill looks at your GPA over all 4 years of your degree and you'll definitely want to try and maintain above 3.6/40 but preferable around 3.8/4.0 so 80-85% i think is what that is around. I too thought that the qualifying year at mcgill would mean that it would be 3 years instead of the 2 at other schools, but when I looked into it a little further I believe that is totals to 26 months while UBCs program is 23 or 24 months. (these numbers may be incorrect its just off the top of my head, but this is easy enough to find online if you look). Also, you'll want to do volunteering of some sort during your undergrad degree- things like shadowing a physio (also helps for you to know for sure if this is what you want to do), working with special populations (disabilities, seniors, etc.), working with sports teams, volunteering at a hospital, and doing research are all helpful. I would also recommend getting to know profs on a more personal level if possible, typically this is where doing research comes in handy, as for some schools you'll need references from your profs (however, as of right now McGill does not require references). :) 

On 4/11/2020 at 11:11 PM, PTHopeful333 said:

Montreal is beautiful and from what I have heard the PT program there is very good.  I applied to this program, have not heard back yet but this is what I have learned while researching the school. When you apply to the program from an outside university you will be required to take a "qualifying year" which is essentially the final year of undergrad for the rehab science bachelors degree students (not quite but..)- so you will be attending classes with the undergraduate students in that program. From what I can remember I believe the only pre-reqs for the program were anatomy and physiology but you'll want to double check that, but it would be beneficial to take all your other science courses + stats if you intend to apply to other PT schools, which I would recommend. Most PT schools don't take into account what your undergraduate degree is in as long as you have good grades and all the pre-reqs required for the program. I would recommend taking what ever courses that you are interested in that you feel you would be able to receive good marks in. I personally took a BSc. in kinesiology because it was pretty relevant to PT and I loved it and I found that it was way less stressful than doing a typical BSc. degree. Most schools will use a variation of essentially the last two years worth of grades or only 300/400 level courses, where as McGill looks at your GPA over all 4 years of your degree and you'll definitely want to try and maintain above 3.6/40 but preferable around 3.8/4.0 so 80-85% i think is what that is around. I too thought that the qualifying year at mcgill would mean that it would be 3 years instead of the 2 at other schools, but when I looked into it a little further I believe that is totals to 26 months while UBCs program is 23 or 24 months. (these numbers may be incorrect its just off the top of my head, but this is easy enough to find online if you look). Also, you'll want to do volunteering of some sort during your undergrad degree- things like shadowing a physio (also helps for you to know for sure if this is what you want to do), working with special populations (disabilities, seniors, etc.), working with sports teams, volunteering at a hospital, and doing research are all helpful. I would also recommend getting to know profs on a more personal level if possible, typically this is where doing research comes in handy, as for some schools you'll need references from your profs (however, as of right now McGill does not require references). :) 

Thanks for your response PTHopeful! It was very helpful and I really hope you get in! I looked into it and it is only 26 months (2 years) for the PT program and qualifying year, I was confused at first but you helped a lot! I’ll have to work really hard then and remain a good gpa though. Thanks a lot and tell me what happens, good luck!

I think that it is 26 months over the span of 3 years! Between the QY and the Masters you would get a summer break. I was confused when I first looked into it as well. But number of months-wise it is not that much different from other programs, its just not done consecutively. :) Im glad that I could be of help! Good luck with your studies next year, hopefully it won't be interrupted too much by what is going on in the world right now.