Premed 101 Forums

International Schools

I know that one of the biggest drawbacks to people going to school in places like the UK or Australia is the insane tuition prices... but I'm just curious how many people would study abroad if money wasn't an issue. I personally think it would be a really cool opportunity and the quality of the education is comparable to Canada and if I don't get in anywhere in Canada its something that I'll probably look into a little bit further. So would you go? Why or why not? 

This is true, and definitely something to keep in mind.

I'm more just curious if it is something other people would pursue if the cost wasn't so insane. My friends that are pursing PT are pretty split, some would want to stay in Canada for various reasons and some would be more than willing to go abroad if the cost wasn't so high, and would gladly choose to go abroad even if they got into a Canadian school. I think that going abroad would be such a unique experience and you can learn so much by studying in other areas, I would have a hard time saying no to going if I were to get accepted in another country. It is very interesting to see where people fall on this discussion and what other reasons they may have to not studying abroad- for example the board exams like you mentioned. 

You can travel abroad before, during summers or after PT school. I would make sure you do the research to make sure the licensure aspects are certain. No point going abroad, if you cant come back and work, or have a much more difficult time passing licensing exams. 

Coming from Medicine, it is important to be aware of the practical realities and political realities. Going abroad often comes with risks that aren't as easily appreciated if you don't go looking into things.