Premed 101 Forums

Chatter as we wait.

1 minute ago, Heme said:

Thanks for your response!

I don't feel that it is unproductive, as there are a number of us who are coming to this profession as older applicants and really need to weigh the financial, situational and emotional costs of "starting over," particularly if we have dependents. We all know how much effort is put into applying to medicine. I suppose I am trying to figure out when the scale tips towards it no longer being a viable option for the applicant or the school.

IMO that decision can only come from you and your family. I'm in the same boat as you. 15 year career in healthcare, dependent , house, bills, financial risk etc. It's all individual and not easy thats for sure! The school will accept whoever they feel will serve this community the best. Viability to the applicant is again personal.

This next comment might be controversial. Not becoming a doctor is not the end of the world. If anyone thinks it is, then they either are immature (and thus not ready to take on such a responsibility) or they are doing it for the wrong reasons. However, I strongly urge people to keep reapplying if they feel it is what's right for them. But, please, have a plan B that you are working towards. Hopefully in another healthcare profession or something relevant, so that in the future, if the will to go through this is still there, you will have developed valuable perspective and skills.

I'm happy to chat to anyone about my experience, situation, thoughts etc. so feel free to DM me.

38 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

this is crazy surreal, only 3-4 more days! I oscillate between (1) thinking of previous friends who have gotten in and thinking "I got this" and (2) despairing about how everyone I've met is totally acceptance material and I don't possibly stand a chance. 

:confused::confused::confused:

Yup. I was totally fine until yesterday. Now I just want to know so I can stop swinging between "I've totally got it" to "I'm never ever going to get this"

1 hour ago, Heme said:

Morning would be nice :D. Last year it was around 2:30 pm.

Morning is really more convenient for me. haha! My partner and kids are hoping to be there when I get my email, but we're apart both afternoons and my kids will be with their dad.

What is everyone going to do when they get their email (beside jump up and down or slouch against the wall)? If its a yes, I'm driving to see my kids with treats and then to my isolation family to either celebrate or commiserate with them

Yeah I feel the same, definitely go through a roller coaster everyday between thinking I have a chance, and mentally preparing to be rejected hahaha

46 minutes ago, hopingformd said:

this is crazy surreal, only 3-4 more days! I oscillate between (1) thinking of previous friends who have gotten in and thinking "I got this" and (2) despairing about how everyone I've met is totally acceptance material and I don't possibly stand a chance. 

:confused::confused::confused:

On 4/29/2020 at 8:44 PM, Cge3003 said:

Do you guys know what the acceptance/ rejection looks like? Ex. if the offer letter is emailed or if they upload it on the application portal?

Traditionally an offer tab will open up on UCAN. That’s how I found out, I was refreshing the page periodically, and the offer tab was up. Emails are also sent out. 

2 hours ago, MountainAmoeba said:

Traditionally an offer tab will open up on UCAN. That’s how I found out, I was refreshing the page periodically, and the offer tab was up. Emails are also sent out. 

How much time from when the offer tab showed up to when you got the email?

11 minutes ago, Hopefulfor2029 said:

Do you guys think theres any chance invites will come out today? They tend to overestimate how much time it’ll take from my experience. But at the same time it’s usually a Tuesday? 

I doubt it, as verifiers were told to have their responses in by today (mentioned above somewhere). But wouldn't that be nice?!

5 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

I kinda doubt it since they are giving verifiers until today to respond. 

On an unrelated note, did everyone see the comment in the blog about identifying 75 areas of concern? 75! 

I was surprised by that too, but they did say they were investigating questionable comments in the admissions blog and places like premed101.

4 minutes ago, motherofdragons said:

I was surprised by that too, but they did say they were investigating questionable comments in the admissions blog and places like premed101.

That's a good point, the blog comments were incredibly toxic post-cancellation. I couldn't believe half the comments people were posting. Be positive people.  

57 minutes ago, MedicineLCS said:

That's a good point, the blog comments were incredibly toxic post-cancellation. I couldn't believe half the comments people were posting. Be positive people.  

I was very disappointed in the posts. It was frustrating to see those comments coming from fellow MD applicants. I couldn’t imagine what Dr.P was feeling/thinking as he read them. Then I began to worry about how those comments were reflecting upon us as an applicant pool!

4 minutes ago, Heme said:

I was very disappointed in the posts. It was frustrating to see those comments coming from fellow MD applicants. I couldn’t imagine what Dr.P was feeling/thinking as he read them. Then I began to worry about how those comments were reflecting upon us as an applicant pool!

do you know what blog post they are under. I am trying to find them

2 minutes ago, premedubc101 said:

do you know what blog post they are under. I am trying to find them

They are sprinkled throughout the comments sections of Dr. P’s posts since interviews were cancelled. I can’t be sure, but I feel that some of them may have been removed.