Premed 101 Forums

How will COVID-19 affect applicants this upcoming cycle?

12 hours ago, takasugi said:

One semester probably won't break or make your admission into medical school, so that guy having a meltdown in this thread should calm down. And if it does, then it probably means you didn't have that great of a chance anyways...

This lack of empathy is so dangerous for a potential future doctor to have... There was no reasons for you to say that to anyone, who are you to tell someone something this rude and to ”calm down” when all they were doing is sharing a concern that’s a reality for many future applicants? 

Like @Ijustwantmed said, you have no idea what someone’s headspace is and throwing comments like that is just so uncalled for.

This is a complete joke. I held 2 jobs working 30hrs a week, one being research assistant and one being a reservist in the military, all while doing full course load, managing clubs and balancing my life. Not to mention I broke up with my then-GF to concentrate on school. Pull the best semester of my life and then get completely shafted by this virus. I give up. This med thing has taken too many years off my life already. Im done

11 minutes ago, IloveMemes said:

This is a complete joke. I held 2 jobs working 30hrs a week, one being research assistant and one being a reservist in the military, all while doing full course load, managing clubs and balancing my life. Not to mention I broke up with my then-GF to concentrate on school. Pull the best semester of my life and then get completely shafted by this virus. I give up. This med thing has taken too many years off my life already. Im done

Hey I'm a 4th year med student, and when I was applying to medicine, I remember it being the only thing I focused on and my entire identity and activities revolved around that. That was a terrible mistake. You never know how long you're going to live or what the future holds, you should be doing things that you genuinely enjoy in the present and if that leads you to medicine, then good, hopefully you'll enjoy medicine when you get there.

This is a good moment to reflect on what's important to you in life. Medicine really isn't worth that much of a sacrifice.

38 minutes ago, MDinCanada said:

Hey I'm a 4th year med student, and when I was applying to medicine, I remember it being the only thing I focused on and my entire identity and activities revolved around that. That was a terrible mistake. You never know how long you're going to live or what the future holds, you should be doing things that you genuinely enjoy in the present and if that leads you to medicine, then good, hopefully you'll enjoy medicine when you get there.

This is a good moment to reflect on what's important to you in life. Medicine really isn't worth that much of a sacrifice.

Well its easy for you to dish out life advice when you've already crossed the hurdle. I dont know know you personally so I cant comment on your journey, but I do not have the luxury to do things that I enjoy. I enjoy playing video games, I like camping, i like socializing with people. But too bad these things wont put food on my table so thats why I work 2 jobs, go to school, and pass out every night exhausted to the bone. 

Whats so frustrating about this is that I bear the weight of my entire family on my shoulders on a regular day. I send money home, I do the work, I get above average grades, in hopes that one day I can get into med. And when this virus hit, it got even harder for me. I have 0 income now, I applied to CERB and sent every last dollar home to my parents so they dont lose their car or their home because THEIR hours are cut. I study every day on canned food, pasta, and protein shakes, and I still pull the best semester of my life. 

Even before corona, I was pulling the best grades I ever had. I would not have minded to write the exams, but that is out of my control. 

With or without med as the goal, my life is already hard. So i would appreciate to have it pay off. But clearly, that's not going to happen. 

6 hours ago, Ijustwantmed said:

Thats very harsh honestly, telling someone their hard work doesnt matter and that they arent competitive anyways is crazy mean, and then to throw away his experience and equate it to whining is just mean.... teach their own i think thats really mean, you dont even know where his headspace is right now 

Typing out countless sentences as to how it's unfair for them without a shred of thought of other perspectives is definitely whining. You have to be at least somewhat logical.

51 minutes ago, Comped said:

Typing out countless sentences as to how it's unfair for them without a shred of thought of other perspectives is definitely whining. You have to be at least somewhat logical.

Please go back and look at what I actually wrote instead of going to conclusions. I acknowledged the fact that there are people who were affected with COVID-19, and that they should be accommodated for. However, there are also a lot of people who shouldn't suffer just because we had three weeks of online classes. I said there should be options for both sides, and as doctors, I feel that lots of challenges will come our way such as COVID-19, and we should still learn how to work hard and manage stress despite whatever comes our way.

11 hours ago, IloveMemes said:

Well its easy for you to dish out life advice when you've already crossed the hurdle. I dont know know you personally so I cant comment on your journey, but I do not have the luxury to do things that I enjoy. I enjoy playing video games, I like camping, i like socializing with people. But too bad these things wont put food on my table so thats why I work 2 jobs, go to school, and pass out every night exhausted to the bone. 

Whats so frustrating about this is that I bear the weight of my entire family on my shoulders on a regular day. I send money home, I do the work, I get above average grades, in hopes that one day I can get into med. And when this virus hit, it got even harder for me. I have 0 income now, I applied to CERB and sent every last dollar home to my parents so they dont lose their car or their home because THEIR hours are cut. I study every day on canned food, pasta, and protein shakes, and I still pull the best semester of my life. 

Even before corona, I was pulling the best grades I ever had. I would not have minded to write the exams, but that is out of my control. 

With or without med as the goal, my life is already hard. So i would appreciate to have it pay off. But clearly, that's not going to happen. 

It must be very difficult for you. But if you have worked very hard for a long time (esp through your undergrad) it would be reflected on your previous grades, which is what will be used for medical school admission. It is great you are so resilient, and I am sure it will be reflected in not only your grades, but in your application and interview. As a resident, I would like to see my future colleges being not just book smart (which to be frank, most people getting 3.8+ GPA are) but also resilient and easy to work with. I value people's attitude more than anything else

5 hours ago, hopeful_med said:

It must be very difficult for you. But if you have worked very hard for a long time (esp through your undergrad) it would be reflected on your previous grades, which is what will be used for medical school admission. It is great you are so resilient, and I am sure it will be reflected in not only your grades, but in your application and interview. As a resident, I would like to see my future colleges being not just book smart (which to be frank, most people getting 3.8+ GPA are) but also resilient and easy to work with. I value people's attitude more than anything else

I appreciate your sympathy. I am resilient not invincible. Only time will tell how Ontario schools play this out but regardless, if my stats are not good enough because my winter 2020 semester is cut, I will not apply. There are fulfilling jobs out there that dont shave years off my life, maybe in pharmaceuticals or the lobbying industry where my degree can transfer over. 

• 4 weeks later...

So apparently Western and Dalhousie are no longer including Winter 2020 courses. This is not necessarily fair for everyone imo especially students who had multi term courses like 12 and 15 unit thesis projects. Basically these courses wont even be included anymore. One promising thing is that U Calgary apparently also was going to exclude winter 2020 but they changed their mind because I think enough students reached out and stated their side of why winter 2020 should be included. I mean for those that have concerns over this, idk maybe we  should email. I don't think it would hurt to at least present a different view of this decision to include or exclude courses.