Premed 101 Forums

Winter 2020 Grades Will Not be Calculated for Future Applications

6 minutes ago, icymeia said:

Does anyone know if this applies to full year courses as well?

It only applies to Winter 2020 semester according to their website, but I am assuming full year courses would not be calculated if they fall in Winter 2020.

This change would definitely impact me negatively. I think it's unfair considering I've worked especially hard to get all A+'s this semester while taking a full course load and not use the Pass/Fail (CR/NCR) designation on any of my courses. For UofA, it wouldn't make any real difference for me because I think it only marginally increases my GPA from 3.96 to 3.98. But it would have a big impact for other schools (especially ontario schools) which care about the A/A+ distinction (I've never had a semester before with all A+'s so this would help a lot). I definitely hope the other med schools don't follow suit.

2 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

This change would definitely impact me negatively. I think it's unfair considering I've worked especially hard to get all A+'s this semester while taking a full course load and not use the Pass/Fail (CR/NCR) designation on any of my courses. For UofA, it wouldn't make any real difference for me because I think it only marginally increases my GPA from 3.96 to 3.98. But it would have a big impact for other schools (especially ontario schools) which care about the A/A+ distinction (I've never had a semester before with all A+'s so this would help a lot). I definitely hope the other med schools don't follow suit.

3 hours ago, Ss123toy said:

Hm interesting, I wonder if this will apply to med as well. Would be really unfortunate if this affected lowest year drops, as that's the only thing giving me a chance currently.

That’s what I was worried about. If they just leave the Winter 2020 term from their calculation of wGPA, my GPA drops by two points which is fine I guess. If they decide to take one of my worse semesters though in order to calculate wGPA, my GPA drops a significant amount.