Premed 101 Forums

any positive second iteration match experience? PLZ

2 hours ago, Imgrad said:

Im an IMG. Bombed the MCCQE1. Bombed the NAC. Got one interview in 1st iteration. Thought I killed it. Went unmatched and literally went into depression. Submitted docs last minute for 2nd iteration. 4 interviews and thought I bombed them all. Somehow matched into a speciality that I didn't even have the guts to apply to in 1st iteration because I thought I wouldn't get it. And I got it. Life is a trip

Do you have anything special for internal medicine?

Like research or any experience?

On 4/14/2020 at 3:18 PM, Dr.OBGYN said:

Looking for a hope and some positive vibes around

Can anyone help by sharing their positive second iteration match experience? and whether CMG, CSA or IMG?

PLEASE

Thanks

Unlike some above - scored high in the MCC/NAC exams (90th percentiles) and scored a 4.0 in med school....completed a masters in 2019 at the university of toronto (GPA: 4.0)....I'm also a CSA that went unmatched in the 1st round.  Utterly shocked and questioned the whole thing to the point I almost said f*** it and was about to change careers due to the utter nepotism that works behind the scenes.  Nonetheless, got interviews 2nd round - killed them and told EACH program why I would be your best candidate and why they need me.  Glad to say, it worked :)

Keep your head up and stay positive.  No matter how much we may want to stray from our dream path - DON'T!  Eventually, it will work out! Just keep up the hard work :)

On 4/16/2020 at 9:43 PM, Imgrad said:

Im an IMG. Bombed the MCCQE1. Bombed the NAC. Got one interview in 1st iteration. Thought I killed it. Went unmatched and literally went into depression. Submitted docs last minute for 2nd iteration. 4 interviews and thought I bombed them all. Somehow matched into a speciality that I didn't even have the guts to apply to in 1st iteration because I thought I wouldn't get it. And I got it. Life is a trip

Do you mind me asking what kind of scores you have for QE1? Just trying to see how I can help my application to match next year. Thank you

On 4/16/2020 at 9:43 PM, Imgrad said:

Do you mind me asking where you interviewed at and the specialty? 

17 minutes ago, Imgrad said:

2nd iteration - I interviewed at MUN FM, Sask FM, Sask IM, Ottawa neuro. I ranked FM first because I felt like I had better chances with FM but really wanted Sask IM. Ended up getting Sask IM somehow. 

Why would you rank FM over Sask IM if you wanted IM more?

19 minutes ago, Imgrad said:

2nd iteration - I interviewed at MUN FM, Sask FM, Sask IM, Ottawa neuro. I ranked FM first because I felt like I had better chances with FM but really wanted Sask IM. Ended up getting Sask IM somehow. 

FM is definitely one of the most competitive and sought after specialities at the moment. One reason for this is because most people like the lifestyle and similar pay scales to other specialties. Another reason is that most applicants use it as a back-up program. And thirdly and most obvious - it has the greatest number of seats (meaning the greatest number of applicants - hence the bottleneck. 

2 minutes ago, swoman said:

Why would you rank FM over Sask IM if you wanted IM more?

I would assume what is meant is likely the statistically better chance of matching to FM due to the greater number of seats/positions vs IM. 

46 minutes ago, Imgrad said:

That is amazing! Congratulations once again. I remember they had 3 spots in second iteration! 

2 hours ago, Imgrad said:

I thought I had a better chance at FM and liked the specialty. Im just trying to get back to Canada. IMGs can relate haha

But that isn't how the algorithm works. 

If you wanted Sask IM more, you should have put it first.   You would have gotten it either way it seems, but if MUN FM had ranked you higher.. you could have matched to FM, instead of IM when IM wanted you too.

This is a lesson to actually understand how the CaRMS match works. The algorithm is ALWAYS to go by APPLICANTs preference. 

Repeat that 1000x.

Congrats to those that matched, and those that didn't - keep trying, and try and evaluate to see if the US can be an option. Much more spots in the US and more objective.

How much would you rate the impact of the interview on the overall match result? I mean i had some interviews which i thought i did ok, and i had some feedback that i was good. So, is there any advice about the interview? and how can you master it?

Obviously, i know it requires training and practice, i am just and IMG with no strong interview background. So, the advise i was given is that i should be "WOW" at the interview. To what extent is this right?