Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone score worse on the supplemental/essay this year?

Last summer, I stopped by the admissions office to discuss my essay / supplemental portion of the application. One of the clerks told me that students can lose points if they re-submit the same / similar essay from previous year(s), and their essay happens be reviewed and recognized by the same adcom individual. The logic is lack of growth from one year to the next / originality. The admissions committee is only 15-20 people (I believe). She also joked, "do you know how many essays we receive of people being stuck in a storm --> epiphany" 

If you apply again, I highly recommend stopping by the admissions office to ask questions. If you are chatty, they may reveal information that could help set your application apart. 

1 hour ago, yeeewww said:

Last summer, I stopped by the admissions office to discuss my essay / supplemental portion of the application. One of the clerks told me that students can lose points if they re-submit the same / similar essay from previous year(s), and their essay happens be reviewed and recognized by the same adcom individual. The logic is lack of growth from one year to the next / originality. The admissions committee is only 15-20 people (I believe). She also joked, "do you know how many essays we receive of people being stuck in a storm --> epiphany" 

If you apply again, I highly recommend stopping by the admissions office to ask questions. If you are chatty, they may reveal information that could help set your application apart. 

What does “being stuck in a storm —> epiphany” mean?

My interpretation was that a lot applicants start their essays discussing a situation when they had to overcome a tough experience. Ultimately, the applicant reaches an epiphany / moment of clarity that they want to "help others" etc etc. 

My take home: avoid cliches.