Premed 101 Forums

Admission requirements confusion?

2 minutes ago, toxicpremeds said:

The rules are very clear in response to graduate students, and have always been. You cannot pursue graduate studies and apply to medicine in the same cycle - you must be at the end of your degree. All grad students who have previously applied and been accepted (myself included) know this. Our acceptance letter clearly stated the offer would most definitely be revoked if we did not provide proof of degree completion, and Carolyn reminded us of this.

Pharmacy =/= graduate school. Pharmacy is an undergraduate degree at the same level as a BSc (and Medicine is also considered an undergraduate degree, coincidentally). Again, referring to the above links others posted makes the rules pretty clear. 

Like Yeslcan alluded to, this is hopefully a wake-up call for other premeds: going on a witch hunt to further your own application/chances makes you shitty, full stop. Thinking you can intervene to somehow right this "unfair, inequitable" system for YOUR OWN benefit and at the expense of others is honestly entitled, and discrediting & disrespectful to your future colleagues and to the admissions committee. The entire admissions process is meticulous and your waitlist score is not affected by other students' performance. So take your waitlist/rejection as a learning opportunity and grow from it, instead of pointing fingers and blaming outside sources for the outcome. 

There are several students that just completed their first year of masters that got accepted. You think this is just about the pharmacy students? (And don't make us repeat the rule man... it said both undergraduate and graduate studies. Come on...) 

Again, you generalized. You don't have all the facts, you don't know everyone's intentions, and your own username unfortunately describes your sole purpose on this site. If you really want to reply to this with the same beliefs, tell me that i don't have a right to email admissions and ask them why each situation is being looked at differently. Go ahead. 

8 minutes ago, toxicpremeds said:

The rules are very clear in response to graduate students, and have always been. You cannot pursue graduate studies and apply to medicine in the same cycle - you must be at the end of your degree. All grad students who have previously applied and been accepted (myself included) know this. Our acceptance letter clearly stated the offer would most definitely be revoked if we did not provide proof of degree completion, and Carolyn reminded us of this.

Pharmacy =/= graduate school. Pharmacy is an undergraduate degree at the same level as a BSc (and Medicine is also considered an undergraduate degree, coincidentally). Again, referring to the above links others posted makes the rules pretty clear. 

Like Yeslcan alluded to, this is hopefully a wake-up call for other premeds: going on a witch hunt to further your own application/chances makes you shitty, full stop. Thinking you can intervene to somehow right this "unfair, inequitable" system for YOUR OWN benefit and at the expense of others is honestly entitled, and discrediting & disrespectful to your future colleagues and to the admissions committee. The entire admissions process is meticulous and your waitlist score is not affected by other students' performance. So take your waitlist/rejection as a learning opportunity and grow from it, instead of pointing fingers and blaming outside sources for the outcome. 

I actually don’t know anyone who got in from pharmacy. I never saw anyone post on Facebook from pharmacy. I’m not at all trying to get anyone in particular’s admission’s offer revoked. I’m just here because I think this is wrong. I think the majority of the application process is as fair as it can possibly be actually. Just this one rule is causing issues because some applicants are being treated differently than others in regards to this rule. Actually the people who brought this up are pharmacy students who were told they couldn’t apply to dal med because of this rule. People on the waitlist aren’t witch-hunting sorry for your misinterpretation of the situation. 

1 minute ago, premed_1 said:

There are several students that just completed their first year of masters that got accepted. You think this is just about the pharmacy students? (And don't make us repeat the rule man... it said both undergraduate and graduate studies. Come on...) 

Again, you generalized. You don't have all the facts, you don't know everyone's intentions, and your own username unfortunately describes your sole purpose on this site. If you really want to reply to this with the same beliefs, tell me that i don't have a right to email admissions and ask them why each situation is being looked at differently. Go ahead. 

Lol, where are you seeing first year Masters students that dropped their masters funding and lab and got in? I highly doubt this is true - I and others I know were indeed threatened with our offer being rescinded previously if proof of completion was not given. Also, remember some Master's programs can be completed in one year.

Again, as others have said, the adcom knows THEIR rule that they created. If there is an error, it's in the applicants' understanding of the rules and not in the rule itself. Therefore, those who hold seats should under no circumstance have their offer revoked. And again, can't believe I'm writing this out again - if you want to rescind people's seats, you are shitty.

Lastly - I'm not generalizing, I'm speaking to the broad audience in this thread who indeed have expressed dire consequences should be taken. If you are still happy for those who applied and got in, then what I said doesn't apply to you. If you're (hopefully) the minority who is absolutely shaking their fist, trying to band up against admissions and currently accepted students, then newsflash: you suck. 

PS: My name is a fucking joke, targeted towards the latter population that I'm talking to above. Also, just a heads up - emailing the dean and asking for anything more than some clarification, like asking for action to be taken, is downright embarrassing. 

6 minutes ago, toxicpremeds said:

Lol, where are you seeing first year Masters students that dropped their masters funding and lab and got in? I highly doubt this is true - I and others I know were indeed threatened with our offer being rescinded previously if proof of completion was not given. Also, remember some Master's programs can be completed in one year.

Again, as others have said, the adcom knows THEIR rule that they created. If there is an error, it's in the applicants' understanding of the rules and not in the rule itself. Therefore, those who hold seats should under no circumstance have their offer revoked. And again, can't believe I'm writing this out again - if you want to rescind people's seats, you are shitty.

Lastly - I'm not generalizing, I'm speaking to the broad audience in this thread who indeed have expressed dire consequences should be taken. If you are still happy for those who applied and got in, then what I said doesn't apply to you. If you're (hopefully) the minority who is absolutely shaking their fist, trying to band up against admissions and currently accepted students, then newsflash: you suck. 

PS: My name is a fucking joke, targeted towards the latter population that I'm talking to above. Also, just a heads up - emailing the dean and asking for anything more than some clarification, like asking for action to be taken, is downright embarrassing. 

agreed, what's further embarrassing is those that have complained to their "doctor mentors" and encouraged them to write letters to the dean as well....and then went on this thread saying- look other doctors are writing too as a sense of credibility....those doctors have better things to do and if they are actually writing these emails (which I doubt) it's nothing more than to get you to stop complaining....this is analogous to the entitled rich kid who does not make a sports team and is jealous of others who made it it so they get their mom to write to the sports manager lmao  

2 minutes ago, toxicpremeds said:

"You are shitty" and "you suck" are both personal attacks which are not allowed on this forum. Please go review the forum rules. I am appalled that a medical student is insulting pre-meds on this forum. Don't you have to be studying, not cyber bullying? I sure hope you don't get this mad and start calling your poor patients names when you're a physician. 

1 minute ago, med1day said:

"You are shitty" and "you suck" are both personal attacks which are not allowed on this forum. Please go review the forum rules. I am appalled that a medical student is insulting pre-meds on this forum. Don't you have to be studying, not cyber bullying? I sure hope you don't get this mad and start calling your poor patients names when you're a physician. 

Lmao, just trynna call out bullshit when I see it my guy. I think real-life bullying in the form of pursuing ruining people's dreams is worse, don't you? ;) 

Real protip though: take the process as a learning experience and disregard this whole thing for now. Think long and hard about how to make your application better for next year and give it another shot - most people take a few attempts. If you're high on the waitlist, good luck!

6 minutes ago, toxicpremeds said:

Lmao, just trynna call out bullshit when I see it my guy. I think real-life bullying in the form of pursuing ruining people's dreams is worse, don't you? ;) 

Real protip though: take the process as a learning experience and disregard this whole thing for now. Think long and hard about how to make your application better for next year and give it another shot - most people take a few attempts. If you're high on the waitlist, good luck!

Online or in real life, it's the same shit. And I am not pursuing ruining people's dreams, I want all of these people to become doctors, if these people have their offers rescinded they can apply again. Most people take a few attempts!