Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

whatever they choose will be very conservative. No experiments with CASPer, no surprises, there's enough novel stuff going on. I'm guessing they will try and map what the GPA, CASPer, CARS scores were from previous years' offers. No one wants to be explaining for years how a new selection formulae was devised in the midst of a pandemic at a moment's notice with socially distant decision makers. 

1 hour ago, MedGoldfish said:

Will McMaster release their finalized selection criteria before May 12? Their most recent emails don't seem to suggest anything of the sort.

Has anyone tried posting a question about their selection criteria on their Slido for tomorrow's Q&A, or do those questions get filtered out by McMaster?

I submitted a question about this but it was never posted to their Sildo page despite my other questions making it through. I assume they are filtering them out. 

7 hours ago, MedGoldfish said:

Did anyone else see the random shirtless guy walking back and forth in the background during yesterday's presentation?

I feel like that sums up the mood of this year's application cycle at Mac.

Where was this? I didn't notice this and now I'm worried that I accidentally had my webcam on and it was me lol

24 minutes ago, inkbat said:

it's so late in the game that at this point i'd almost rather not know... we'll find out the most important information in 2 weeks anyway.

I feel like they're going to release it the Monday after all the mini meet and greets finish, just to protect the student volunteers from being slammed with questions from interviewees. So basically a week before the offers are sent out

Edit: I feel so bad about this whole situation, like I have no chance of being considered unless they somehow weigh CASPer the most. In my meet and greet one of the student volunteers said they still expect to maintain the same kind of diversity in the class overall that they've always had, but I really don't see how they would achieve this in reality just based on the numbers in our apps.

52 minutes ago, short_stack said:

I feel like they're going to release it the Monday after all the mini meet and greets finish, just to protect the student volunteers from being slammed with questions from interviewees. So basically a week before the offers are sent out

Edit: I feel so bad about this whole situation, like I have no chance of being considered unless they somehow weigh CASPer the most. In my meet and greet one of the student volunteers said they still expect to maintain the same kind of diversity in the class overall that they've always had, but I really don't see how they would achieve this in reality just based on the numbers in our apps.

good point!

i agree - it would be impossible to get their desired results based just on numbers. i'm also in trouble unless they weigh CASPer the most. however, i'm trying to be positive, and i imagine that CASPer results are likely the most correlated with interview performance. let's hope that's true for our sakes :)

On 4/28/2020 at 1:13 PM, inkbat said:

good point!

i agree - it would be impossible to get their desired results based just on numbers. i'm also in trouble unless they weigh CASPer the most. however, i'm trying to be positive, and i imagine that CASPer results are likely the most correlated with interview performance. let's hope that's true for our sakes :)

I was neurotic and found published data to support that, but failed to find anything about how GPA or MCAT correlate to MMI performance lol :unsure:

13 minutes ago, HeyMrSnowman said:

They might have to do some tweaking to ensure that entering stats are similar to previous years. That said, the scoring metric probably won't be a 70/15/15 split, but something else with CASPer worth the most since it has been found to correlate with MMI performance. 

i SURE do hope so!! shall we do collective prayers for criteria email to be sent early next week? lol

I think they will release criteria soon!! In the online sessions they said that McMaster has always been transparent with the selection process and wants to continue to do so! Hopeful they do release it sooner rather than later though!

I would assume they didn't want to release it today or earlier because they had all the MMI meet and greets, and didn't want the current med students getting flooded with questions from people about the weighting lol

The meet and greets ended today, so I think early next week makes sense for the criteria to be released, but who knows