Premed 101 Forums
MedGoldfish

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

I slept at 2am and woke up at 8am from sheer dread and anxiety and managed to fall back asleep till now.... 24 more hours!

Can someone that decides to check OMSAS at midnight let us know

1. If they see a Mac offer 

2. If they do see a Mac offer, whether they had a button or not

1 hour ago, short_stack said:

Yeah that's what I don't understand... The whole top 100 having a 70-76% chance of acceptance kind of implies that the MMI is not that useful to actually select people after the initial 100 if they all have ~50% chance anyway. They undermined the MMI and even the CASPer through this decision, in a way.

They've dehumanized selection to a statistic -everything contrary to the tenets of the MMI and CASPer 

29 minutes ago, justamom said:

They've dehumanized selection to a statistic -everything contrary to the tenets of the MMI and CASPer 

MMI and CASPer are both lotterys in their own way - only in that case youve a internal locus of control and agency

Having that control and agency taken away without consent is a horrible horrible thing

And yeah no one predicted a pandemic but as a Gov institution there should have been Emergency Orders in place that anticipate some catastrophe, and it's clear that Mac had no contingency plan. Furthermore this acts as a precedent - what happens next year if Covid20 turns up, Mac just rolls another dice ?  

5 minutes ago, justamom said:

And yeah no one predicted a pandemic but as a Gov institution there should have been Emergency Orders in place that anticipate some catastrophe, and it's clear that Mac had no contingency plan. Furthermore this acts as a precedent - what happens next year if Covid20 turns up, Mac just rolls another dice ?  

Residency interviews have already been deemed virtual and they usually take place late Jan early Feb but have been postponed to March 8 to 28

I would be extremely surprised if any schools have inperson interviews next cycle

3 minutes ago, William Osler said:

Residency interviews have already been deemed virtual and they usually take place late Jan early Feb but have been postponed to March 8 to 28

I would be extremely surprised if any schools have inperson interviews next cycle

Honestly, at this point I'm worried we might not even have in-person classes or activities (if we get in). Might make it difficult to form a strong community with our classmates which sucks

1 minute ago, Applicant95 said:

Honestly, at this point I'm worried we might not even have in-person classes or activities (if we get in). Might make it difficult to form a strong community with our classmates which sucks

same. like, wow i don't see classes happening for at least the first 5-6 months of our first year :( this sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Applicant95 said:

I like to be pessimistic and think about what would happen if I was to be rejected and have to interview next cycle :)

No O week and CMA backpack distribution

No bonding with classmates in-person (meeting strangers over Zoom does not feel the same) 

No white coat ceremony (or stethoscope ceremony if you're special cough cough) 

No clinical experiences (upper years in clerkship will be prioritized and no shadowing will be allowed, making it hard to meet faculty to begin research and career exploration) 

What else am I missing?

8 minutes ago, supadupafly said:

Think it’ll make tuition cheaper? :D

Ahaha they actually mentioned that if anything tuition will just go up because of COVID-19 because they have to overhaul their existing teaching infrastructure with an online one - that being said tuition might just stay the same but will very likely not decrease

1 hour ago, wolverine123 said:

Ahaha they actually mentioned that if anything tuition will just go up because of COVID-19 because they have to overhaul their existing teaching infrastructure with an online one - that being said tuition might just stay the same but will very likely not decrease

410mhk.jpg

2 minutes ago, ready2go said:

If you are indigenous and have received an interview, is it guaranteed you will be accepted then?

My understanding is simply that they're being evaluated separately, not that they will all receive offers. Because otherwise, if they are included in the lottery, Mac runs the risk of accepting zero Indigenous students 

Sooo... I was one of the people who had a button with my only interview being McMaster. I checked last night and it was still there. However, I just checked my OMSAS and the button is gone?! Has this happened to anyone else? 

1 minute ago, bluesclues said:

Sooo... I was one of the people who had a button with my only interview being McMaster. I checked last night and it was still there. However, I just checked my OMSAS and the button is gone?! Has this happened to anyone else? 

mine is gone...