Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

I agree, I think people will be upset once they announce the selection criteria.

However, I don't blame anyone for feeling that way. The fact that McMaster is choosing future physicians based on three numbers, none of which involve speaking with the applicants online or in-person, is a really strange thing to wrap your head around. I almost feel like a supervisor interviewing you for a weekly volunteer position would get to know you better than what Mac is doing.

I think without knowing your CASPER score and the score of the other interviewees (distribution, sd, mean, etc...) it'll be quite difficult to predict your chances even if they release the formula.

I can see how for some people it might provide more reassurance (i.e. lower GPA/CARS), but nothing can be certain until May 12th

2 hours ago, hehe123 said:

I think without knowing your CASPER score and the score of the other interviewees (distribution, sd, mean, etc...) it'll be quite difficult to predict your chances even if they release the formula.

I can see how for some people it might provide more reassurance (i.e. lower GPA/CARS), but nothing can be certain until May 12th

It's not just about that. It's about transparency, which McMaster has themselves said they value. Providing the information after May 12 would be kind of unlike them because we've always had information about the interview and offer formulas ahead of time.

4 hours ago, short_stack said:

It's not just about that. It's about transparency, which McMaster has themselves said they value. Providing the information after May 12 would be kind of unlike them because we've always had information about the interview and offer formulas ahead of time.

The Dean also explicitly stated that they will release criteria prior to May 12 (during the first video info session, and possibly the others also?), so it would be pretty shady if they didn't

On 5/2/2020 at 7:06 PM, short_stack said:

but everything now is unlike anything else 

51 minutes ago, inkbat said:

it's been 7.5 weeks since they cancelled the interviews, there's now only 1 week left until offers are released, and they still haven't told us the revised selection criteria? unbelievable. i'm so disappointed by how poorly mcmaster has handled this situation.

Yeah there’s no way the criteria haven’t been finalised yet. It’s all done, I’m sure the formula is selected, the rank order list has been created, who is getting a/w/r is done. So why are we still in the dark

5 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Yeah there’s no way the criteria haven’t been finalised yet. It’s all done, I’m sure the formula is selected, the rank order list has been created, who is getting a/w/r is done. So why are we still in the dark

you're correct - all rank orders have been completed along with offers for each school and probably submitted to OMSAS - i hope we find out the criteria today

27 minutes ago, ontariopremed said:

you're correct - all rank orders have been completed along with offers for each school and probably submitted to OMSAS - i hope we find out the criteria today

Is there somewhere you got this info by any chance? I was just personally guessing that it’s too late in the game for them to still be figuring it out. But if you have a source, please share! ;)

Just now, MedGoldfish said:

Has anyone watched the recordings of the presentations that Mac gave a few weeks ago? Did they edit the video and delete the part where the speakers said that selection criteria would be emailed to us soon? 

I watched the recording a week ago and it still had in the part where they say they'll release the criteria "soon"

29 minutes ago, GamingMD said:

I watched the recording a week ago and it still had in the part where they say they'll release the criteria "soon"

since I have literally nothing else to do, I'm gonna watch all 3 presentations and see what they said lol

(edit: also because I'm going insane :))

(edit 2: I'm already disappointed because the first presentation that occurred on Apr 18, the recording starts after the dean's address lol)