Premed 101 Forums
MedGoldfish

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

4 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Is anybody contemplating biting the bullet and sending an email? Lol

2 minutes ago, inkbat said:

do it SoftTings! be the hero of the forum!!! 

I encourage you too but also I totally recognise why you might be hesitant - if we could have called them we might have maintained some amount of anonymity but with email there's no choice. So no pressure!!

okay so update from watching the presentations again:

Apr 18 presentation recording started AFTER the dean's message. I attended this presentation and from memory the dean said they'd be sharing the details within the next 2 weeks lol. The other two presentations didn't give a timeframe, they just said the info would be shared but not during the presentations. In the second presentation (Apr 20), the dean kind of implied that the process of creating the new criteria was well underway and potentially even complete already.

In conclusion, I am convinced the criteria have already been finalised, and potentially have been for a long time. <_<

2 hours ago, short_stack said:

Is there somewhere you got this info by any chance? I was just personally guessing that it’s too late in the game for them to still be figuring it out. But if you have a source, please share! ;)

offers for u of t have already been completed - source * friend in medical school at u of t * - i'm assuming that other schools don't leave this process till the last day either 

2 minutes ago, short_stack said:

okay so update from watching the presentations again:

Apr 18 presentation recording started AFTER the dean's message. I attended this presentation and from memory the dean said they'd be sharing the details within the next 2 weeks lol. The other two presentations didn't give a timeframe, they just said the info would be shared but not during the presentations. In the second presentation (Apr 20), the dean kind of implied that the process of creating the new criteria was well underway and potentially even complete already.

In conclusion, I am convinced the criteria have already been finalised, and potentially have been for a long time. <_<

Thank you for the update! Maybe they deleted the dean's message so that they aren't held accountable to have to release selection criteria... :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Apr 18 presentation recording started AFTER the dean's message. I attended this presentation and from memory the dean said they'd be sharing the details within the next 2 weeks lol.

i also remember this! i think they said "next couple weeks"

1 minute ago, inkbat said:

i also remember this! i think they said "next couple weeks"

I remember that wording as well 

21 minutes ago, ontariopremed said:

offers for u of t have already been completed - source * friend in medical school at u of t * - i'm assuming that other schools don't leave this process till the last day either 

never know, procrastination never really goes away if you ask me lol 

1 minute ago, MDLD said:

never know, procrastination never really goes away if you ask me lol 

I really don't think that would work on an institutional level haha. I mean, if they need to get approval from "all levels of university" and then also forward all their decisions to OMSAS so it can be securely stored and ready for release on May 12, they have too many steps to complete in only 4 remaining business days. It would be super tight if they were STILL working on it.

Just rewatch the video as well: 

"I can absolutely guarantee you there is a strong plan in place for admission selection. And it has been discussed and reviewed at length by our committee, by our leaders, by student representatives, and by researcher scientists. Details shall be communicated to you shortly through email" 

This was the April 20th video. 

14 minutes ago, short_stack said:

I really don't think that would work on an institutional level haha. I mean, if they need to get approval from "all levels of university" and then also forward all their decisions to OMSAS so it can be securely stored and ready for release on May 12, they have too many steps to complete in only 4 remaining business days. It would be super tight if they were STILL working on it.

I can just imagine Mac not knowing what to do and like last minute on May 11th just start pulling names out of a hat.  

But yes in seriousness the decision is probably already been made and some computer has our futures. 

9 minutes ago, MDLD said:

Just rewatch the video as well: 

"I can absolutely guarantee you there is a strong plan in place for admission selection. And it has been discussed and reviewed at length by our committee, by our leaders, by student representatives, and by researcher scientists. Details shall be communicated to you shortly through email" 

This was the April 20th video. 

Yup, this is the part I meant. It seems to imply the whole plan is already in place and figured out...

5 minutes ago, MDLD said:

I can just imagine Mac, not knowing what to do and like last minute on May 11th just start pulling names out of a hat.   

fingers crossed it goes something like this

407m1l.jpg

16 minutes ago, short_stack said:

Yup, this is the part I meant. It seems to imply the whole plan is already in place and figured out...

we just need to find out Mac's definition of  soon and shortly... and a couple weeks lol 

Genuine question: Has this process changed anyone's opinion on MacMed? I interviewed at another school in person and had a great experience and that's compared to... this.

Or has anyone's opinion on any other school changed due to their handling of the circumstances, either positively or negatively?

14 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Genuine question: Has this process changed anyone's opinion on MacMed? I interviewed at another school in person and had a great experience and that's compared to... this.

Or has anyone's opinion on any other school changed due to their handling of the circumstances, either positively or negatively?

A little tbh. I think a virtual form of the MMI or just a plan interview would have been better. Specially since Alberta moved all their interviews over. 

Also have heard Mac isn't handling the pandemic great, and tbh in general people seem to hate on Mac. 

Mac has always been my 1st choice (like the idea of PBL, family and friends are close ect) but its made me consider other schools more and who knows maybe will pick queens over them if i had the choice now. 

17 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

I'm pretty disappointed too but I had no other interviews and will obviously have no choice... but I hope that the actual program turns out a lot better than this mess.

35 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Has this process changed anyone's opinion on MacMed? I interviewed at another school in person and had a great experience and that's compared to... this.

for me it definitely has! to be honest it's currently sitting at my last choice.

34 minutes ago, SoftTings said:

Genuine question: Has this process changed anyone's opinion on MacMed?

Yes, but to be more favorable. Yes, they cancelled interviews and introduced uncertainty, but ultimately, what will knowing the weighting do? No one here knows their CASPer score or how the waitlist will look this year, plus let's not forget those freebie interviews next year. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter to me because I try not to worry about things I can't change. The weighting will be what they decide, and if I get the short end of the stick I'll take an acceptance somewhere else (hopefully) or the interview next year (which takes the pressure off of rewriting CASPer!). 

As far as the actual process, I appreciate how they reached out with sessions/meet and greets. Not every school that switched to online did this, and to me, their online-only response was by and far the best of the schools I interviewed at. We'll see in a week, but I could very well end up attending a school in a city I've never visited, heard from faculty, or talked to current students at. Mac made an effort to bridge the gap and try to really address concerns with the 3 year program to overcome the "3 year bad, 4 year good" mantra. I interviewed at both 3 year schools and Mac's justification/response to concerns is easily 1000 times better than Calgary's "Take it or leave it" approach. 

48 minutes ago, MDLD said:

image.png.b6be181dcbbb7c222e0dc8835f341b2d.png

In Mac's defense, "a couple" can be quite ambiguous. I once had a 20 minute "discussion" with someone on a car ride about how many items are in "a couple" and it degenerated to both of us trying to use dictionary definitions we liked more. 

5 minutes ago, inkbat said:

for me it definitely has! to be honest it's currently sitting at my last choice.

Why would it not be everyone's last choice as it's a three year program? There's only a very specific student population that would prefer 3 years over 4.

3 minutes ago, swoman said:

Why would it not be everyone's last choice as it's a three year program? There's only a very specific student population that would prefer 3 years over 4.

i'm a little older and i know what specialty i want to pursue, so personally it's my last choice despite the 3 year aspect (not because of it).