Premed 101 Forums

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

5 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

this sounds crazy but I actually think thats what they might do. Just tack it on to the end of our decision letters, kinda makes sense. That way you get half as many complaints (the ppl who got accepted lol) 

shoot, you guys might be right...

1 minute ago, swoman said:

I know people will complain but I really can't see the logic of what they would even complain about... Hopefully not too many ppl get shafted (ie people that got rejected outright or off waitlist had other acceptances)

Yeah exactly eh. I think McMaster is assuming that most of their interviewees will get accepted somewhere (b/c they offered all of us auto-interviews next cycle which would completely mess up the entire next cycle unless you are assuming most of us will NOT need it).  

3 minutes ago, swoman said:

I disagree, the pre-interview formula is set in stone and applicants that did well enough this year will likely qualify next year regardless (barring a huge dip in cGPA or bombing CASPer). It would be interesting to compare if applicants who were guranteed interviews next year would have gotten them regardless...

Totally true, I guess I'm not very confident with my CASPer skills aha!

23 minutes ago, swoman said:

Dear Swoman:

Our selection process for the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine Class of 2021 has now been completed.

Although you are not among the limited number to receive an offer of admission at this time, your name has been placed on the Wait List. In the event that applicants who were offered admission do not accept, we will make offers on a rolling basis, in rank order, to those on the Wait List. Please be assured that we will contact you immediately if a space becomes available, using the telephone number(s) or email address provided. If either of these have changed, please let us know how we can reach you. You should note that if you have already accepted an offer at another Ontario medical school, even if an opening becomes available at McMaster, you will not receive an offer from us.

Please note that McMaster will not provide information on the Wait List including your position on the list. 

Good luck in the competition for an offer to Medical School.

Sincerely,

this email is too real ahah - brings me back to may 14, 2019 

47 minutes ago, brattatat said:

I think at this point they’ll tell us on the day of so we can’t complain about some very controversial process, esp since a large number of interviewees will have offers. It’s like they are picking out of a hat or something haha

Imagine if they said something like: "In order to ensure an holistic assessment of our applicants' qualities, we have decided to include the ABS and CAF in our selection formulae." Surely this would be controversial LMAO

Just now, YesIcan55 said:

Has anyone here considered that they won't ever tell you how they chose people? I know they said they would eventually tell you, but it's not like they have to follow what they said. No school is in obligation to actually revel how they select candidates. For instance, UofA does not tell applicants what the formula to select students for interview, or for an offer. Just a thought.

This is my thought exactly. There never is an uproar for queens to be more transparent  

I am also quite confused as to why people are so interested in knowing - without knowing stats of other applicants + your own CASPER score it won’t be more than an empty formula. 

I think part of why people are interested is honestly just because it's something else to think about and wait for and although, yes, you can't be sure of admission or not there is some insight into your likelihood of admission that may be gained from the knowledge of the criteria!! I, personally, wouldn't be upset if they had said they weren't going to release the criteria due to COVID but since they have stated that they will, expecting it makes you want to know!! Also, I for one am also just curious as to how they have decided to evaluate applicants (and how similar they have determined CASPer to actually be to an MMI)

3 hours ago, YesIcan55 said:

Has anyone here considered that they won't ever tell you how they chose people? I know they said they would eventually tell you, but it's not like they have to follow what they said. No school is in obligation to actually revel how they select candidates. For instance, UofA does not tell applicants what the formula to select students for interview, or for an offer. Just a thought.

There are a couple of problems with going back on their word like that. First, Mac being the only school not to have interviews at all was already a pretty big deal. It’s clear they got a lot of emails complaining or questioning this decision. Removing such a massive component of the selection process (70%!) is a BIG change that I’m sure no one could have predicted, especially since other schools did not do this.

Yes, they’re not obligated to keep their word, but I think they’ve already given their reason why they have to - they value transparency. I probably sound like a stuck record but if they’ve always been so crystal clear about how they select interviews and offers, they kind of have to continue that right now. This is an unprecedented time and they made a really unique decision. Their reputation would nosedive if they didn’t say what this new formula is, especially after all 3 deans said they definitely would. Not to mention that is sketchy as heck.

Each school can reserve the right to change their admission process. But when you’re a school like Mac, which values transparency, seems to be the most accepting of non-trads because they value unique perspectives, and strives to select a class coming from diverse backgrounds, I think it’s perfectly justified to expect them to keep their word lol. If they’ve committed to explaining the process already, going back on that is not an option right now because it could lead to a serious loss of credibility and trust. Even if they hadn’t committed to revealing the new process, I think it would still be pretty damaging to them. This isn’t just about the fact that a medical school can ultimately do whatever they want. As someone else already said, the lack of interviews can impact match later on. I think that speaks to the perspective of the larger medical community too. There’s a lot to lose. 

20 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

Take UofA for example. Up until 4 years ago, they were EXTREMELY transparent. They specifically stated the % of how much each component of the application (GPA, MCAT, EC's, interview, etc) was worth to get an interview and an offer. They even stated how much each interview station was worth and gave applicants average acceptance interview scores and their own interview score. Further, they offered to meet individual applicants in person to review exactly why they got rejected and how to possibly improve in the summer. Few, if any medical schools in Canada, were that transparent. Now, they have scraped everything that I have mentioned above. Trust me when I say it did not damage their reputation in any way, or decrease number of applicants or whatever., No one  questioned them why they did the complete 180, we just went along with it as applicants. 

You say this was 4 years ago. Did the change occur before an application cycle or midway through it? Because if everything changed with enough advance notice to potential applicants, it doesn’t matter. Like I said, schools can reserve the right to change their admissions process whenever they want. So if UofA did this change and made everyone aware of it, ok then. That is not the case for Mac.