Premed 101 Forums
MedGoldfish

Will McMaster release selection criteria before May 12?

25 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

Take UofA for example. Up until 4 years ago, they were EXTREMELY transparent. They specifically stated the % of how much each component of the application (GPA, MCAT, EC's, interview, etc) was worth to get an interview and an offer. They even stated how much each interview station was worth and gave applicants average acceptance interview scores and their own interview score. Further, they offered to meet individual applicants in person to review exactly why they got rejected and how to possibly improve in the summer. Few, if any medical schools in Canada, were that transparent. Now, they have scraped everything that I have mentioned above. Trust me when I say it did not damage their reputation in any way, or decrease number of applicants or whatever., No one  questioned them why they did the complete 180, we just went along with it as applicants. 

i mean obviously there will be no real consequences for mcmaster if they decide not to reveal the criteria (or to reveal it post-offers) - it'll just be really shitty of them. 

also i don't think it's comparable to changing evaluation methods between cycles like u of a did. universities have very little obligation to future applicants, but somewhat of an obligation to current applicants/interviewees. they cancelled interviews (which we were originally told would make up 70% of our score, and also arguably could/should have just been switched to online) mid-cycle, and we kind of had the rug pulled out from under us with regards to our expectations for this cycle. obviously it's not mcmaster's fault there was a pandemic, but i think it's only considerate to keep their (ex-)interviewees informed throughout the course of the application cycle - especially since releasing their criteria would do a lot of good for applicants' mental wellbeing, and not much harm to anyone.

That’s why no one can realistically complain about Queens being a black box and stuff too... because they can actually do what they want. But Mac has set a precedent for themselves and made a promise to us lol. This is a unique situation and I mean it will always look kinda fishy if they randomly decide not to share now. 

1 minute ago, Applicant95 said:

What was the Button Fiasco?

check the may 12 countdown thread under general ontario discussions.... but be warned, it’s about 10 pages long lmao

7 minutes ago, RejectedAgain said:

At this point the only way they can keep their promise that formula will be released BEFORE decisions if the formula is literally written before the decision in the email on May 12th LOL

Except that the subject line could give it away - if you get an offer the subject line says Offer of Admission LOL

I'm disappointed in how Mac's handled everything. This may be overdramatic but I think it went from my top choice to my bottom, since this is probably at least partially representative of the student experience

9 minutes ago, seewhathappens said:

Hence why I disabled Subject Line & Message Previews on my phone haha.

this is a good idea.. i need to do this too lol 

TBH Im a lil dissapointeed with the way they decided to go about thiss... but its not like me compaining will change anything. On the bright side i dont have to worry about anything since this is all coming down to chance

Damn, this kind of sucks in my opinion. A random lottery sounds dumb when they had info like GPA, MCAT, and CASPer to use to make the decision. Makes me want to choose Mac less now as well...

I understand the top 100 students obtaining an offer... however, its a little crazy to think that you could be ranked 101 and someone could be ranked 500 and they could get a spot over you simply due to chance. This is especially disappointing for students who may have had a mediocre GPA (no chance for academic explanation essay) and were hoping the MMI would boost their score. Oh well... its disappointing but its out of our hands. I wish everyone the best :)