Premed 101 Forums

What would you do differently - Canadian DAT

Hello! I have just started studying for the Canadian DAT to take this November. I am using DATCrusher, and plan to supplement with Ferialis notes, bootcamp bio notes, and anything else I come across. I don't want to take the test and THEN realize what I could've done differently... SO, if you could go back and change something about how you studied for the DAT, what would you change? I am giving myself so many months so that I can do the repetitive learning, and try more active studying techniques. Thanks!

Practice using a bubble scantron sheet. I usually finished with extra time on DATCrusher PAT tests, however on the day of I ran out of time with a few questions left because I never took into consideration how much time would be spent filling in the scantron. 

9 minutes ago, amaso said:

Practice using a bubble scantron sheet. I usually finished with extra time on DATCrusher PAT tests, however on the day of I ran out of time with a few questions left because I never took into consideration how much time would be spent filling in the scantron. 

okay great thanks!! is it like a normal scantron at any uni exam? and then a booklet with the questions?

Practice in exam scenarios, but also with some light background noise too! I had someone shuffling, asking several questions, humming and mumbling next to me on the DAT and I think it could've helped to practice in a range of settings to train your mind to focus on the exam only.

Also don't burn through all the good reading comp exams too early. It's better to get the technique down now by doing some of the older tests or reading scientific articles frequently. But I think it would've been good to do the heavy reading comp prep closer to the actual DAT.

Start practicing PAT as soon as you can, and start timing yourself as soon as you're comfortable with solving. Timing was the biggest issue for me! I could solve the questions easily if I had unlimited hours to look at the questions, but as soon as I was on a time limit, I ended up guessing sooo many.