Premed 101 Forums

Updated admission requirements

Irrespective of the pharmacy kids, its just a very strange policy thats seemingly discordant with most other admission policies.

it has the effect of advantaging those who choose to do a second undergraduate degree over those who do graduate degree. It's just hard to understand why this particular incentive structure exists.

5 minutes ago, Pizza123 said:

No one is arguing with you which degree you can submit for gpa calculation. You are right that for gpa calculation you ultimately need one degree or grad students two. However Dalhousie Med application asks you to state what degrees you have IN PROGRESS and which one have finished even though you might not use all do those degree for gpa calculation. The fact they added this today “and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation” means they tweaked their policy so that if you have an undergrad degree that is not being calculated for Gpa calculation they you can be welcome into a class of 2024. Wheras 2 days ago their site specifically said that any undergrad degrees in progress must be done! Does that make sense lol?

You only need to submit the degree that is in progress if you used it for your GPA Calculation 

Overall, the rule above is the exact same rule it was for years before. They just re-wrote slightly it to make it a bit more clear but the message is the exact same 

2 minutes ago, multitry said:

You only need to submit the degree that is in progress if you used it for your GPA Calculation 

Overall, for those reading, the rule above is the exact same rule it was for years before. They just re-wrote slightly it to make it a bit more clear but the message is the exact same 

except if youre in a grad degree lol

7 minutes ago, multitry said:

Overall, the rule above is the exact same rule it was for years before. They just re-wrote slightly it to make it a bit more clear but the message is the exact same 

Taking from Dalhousie’s website:

” Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions listed on your application must be received by the Dalhousie medicine Admissions Office by July 31.  If you have completed undergraduate or graduate studies at Dalhousie, you are not required to submit paper transcripts as the Admissions Office has access to these online“ 

And since you have to report which degrees are completed and which are in progress, that means all degrees have to be submitted. Therefore, your argument is invalid. 

1 minute ago, med1day said:

I don’t get the part about graduate degrees. Can you leave a non-thesis based graduate degree partway through still? And why does it say graduate degree and then refers to graduate and undergraduate!

if youre in a 2-year graduate degree, you gotta finish it. if you're in a 1-year grad degree, you have to finish by July 31

1 hour ago, Pizza123 said:

Taking from Dalhousie’s website:

” Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions listed on your application must be received by the Dalhousie medicine Admissions Office by July 31.  If you have completed undergraduate or graduate studies at Dalhousie, you are not required to submit paper transcripts as the Admissions Office has access to these online“ 

And since you have to report which degrees are completed and which are in progress, that means all degrees have to be submitted. Therefore, your argument is invalid. 

This is true, dal does get everything you’ve completed. BUT in the email from the assistant dean, she literally said this:

If an applicant has 2 or more undergraduate degrees or is in the process of pursuing a 2nd undergraduate degree, they choose which degree to submit for eligibility and GPA assessment. If successful in receiving an admissions offer to Medicine, the offer is conditional upon successful completion of the degree submitted for eligibility and GPA calculation. There is no requirement for completing an undergraduate degree program that is not used for eligibility or GPA calculation.

Key word here that confuses me... “CHOOSE”.... so the students DO choose what they want to include, lol

1 minute ago, DalHali19 said:

This is true, dal does get everything you’ve completed. BUT in the email from the assistant dean, she literally said this:

If an applicant has 2 or more undergraduate degrees or is in the process of pursuing a 2nd undergraduate degree, they choose which degree to submit for eligibility and GPA assessment. If successful in receiving an admissions offer to Medicine, the offer is conditional upon successful completion of the degree submitted for eligibility and GPA calculation. There is no requirement for completing an undergraduate degree program that is not used for eligibility or GPA calculation.

Key word here that confuses me... “CHOOSE”.... so they DO choose what they want to include, lol

Like I said before, they found a way to tweak the rule to benefit them. We all know what was written 2 days ago on their website...

12 minutes ago, Pizza123 said:

Like I said before, they found a way to tweak the rule to benefit them. We all know what was written 2 days ago on their website...

Exactly they just don't wanna deal with the issues created with what was previously written. Why didn't they say on their website specifically you can pick and choose what degree you submit and you have to finish that degree not just "if you are enrolled in a degree at the time of application." Or why didn't their website talk specifically about second undergraduate degrees. And why doesn't it talk about thesis versus non-thesis based masters. Why would you leave applicants confused? 

13 minutes ago, med1day said:

Exactly they just don't wanna deal with the issues created with what was previously written. Why didn't they say on their website specifically you can pick and choose what degree you submit and you have to finish that degree not just "if you are enrolled in a degree at the time of application." Or why didn't their website talk specifically about second undergraduate degrees. And why doesn't it talk about thesis versus non-thesis based masters. Why would you leave applicants confused? 

Exactly!!!

11 minutes ago, Pizza123 said:

lol what I wrote 20 mins ago...

No one is arguing with you which degree you can submit for gpa calculation. You are right that for gpa calculation you ultimately need one degree or grad students two. However Dalhousie Med application asks you to state what degrees you have IN PROGRESS and which one have finished even though you might not use all do those degree for gpa calculation. The fact they added this today “and have submitted this degree for eligibility and GPA calculation” means they tweaked their policy so that if you have an undergrad degree that is not being calculated for Gpa calculation they can be welcome into a class of 2024. Wheras 2 days ago their site specifically said that any undergrad degrees in progress must be done! Does that make sense lol?

Okay, but the thing is they never changed it apparently. Dr. Rideout said that choosing what degree you use for GPA calculation and that determining which undergrad degree counts was always a rule. So why wasn't that on the website? And there was a medical student who said  the rule changed so even the students were confused? And their website changed in late 2018 to make it seem like it was a new requirement that you have to finish any degree in progress. And then they told people applying different things which caused some people to not apply at all. And now they've updated their website so the undergraduate part finally makes sense, but the graduate part is still confusing like maybe it's a typo because wth an undergraduate degree can't be a graduate degree. We shouldn't be this confused is all I'm saying. Policies should be clear that's all. 

5 minutes ago, med1day said:

Okay, but the thing is they never changed it apparently. Dr. Rideout said that choosing what degree you use for GPA calculation and that determining which undergrad degree counts was always a rule. So why wasn't that on the website? And there was a medical student who said  the rule changed so even the students were confused? And their website changed in late 2018 to make it seem like it was a new requirement that you have to finish any degree in progress. And then they told people applying different things which caused some people to not apply at all. And now they've updated their website so the undergraduate part finally makes sense, but the graduate part is still confusing like maybe it's a typo because wth an undergraduate degree can't be a graduate degree. We shouldn't be this confused is all I'm saying. Policies should be clear that's all. 

I agree with you! How is it not considered changed? If it’s something that wasn’t on there website before and they added today. She can say it wasn’t changed but like where was it before lol...

1 minute ago, Pizza123 said:

How is it not considered changed? If it’s something that wasn’t on there website before and they added today. She can say it wasn’t changed but like where was it before lol...

Their website had the wrong thing written on it for a whole application cycle. 

I could be wrong, but when filling out Step 1 of the application didn't it say you had to list all post secondary experience, completed or not? I started my second year of my undergrad at UNB but withdrew for medical reasons and in the now 4 times I've applied I always found it annoying that I had to pay for a transcript that just said "withdrew". I would say maybe I misinterpreted this however I did ask if it needed to be included and admissions said yes?