Premed 101 Forums

15 minutes ago, takasugi said:

Western is probably a bigger party school compared to the other med schools in Ontario. I'm guessing they have a lot of white people because of SWOMEN.

White people because of SWOMEN?

What does race have to do with being SWOMEN and what does being white have to do with partying?

it depends on the social clique you join. There are certain groups of people in the class that will hit the bars or clubs 1-2x a week, once on Monday (we have Tuesdays off), and once on Friday. There are also house parties almost every week. I don't know what other schools are like but I would say we're a pretty outgoing bunch especially because of our 4 day schedule (maybe an unintended consequence from the admin's POV ha).

(in my experience) When you start med school things are going to be overwhelming, but after a few months it will be a breeze and you will have a lot of free time, so there's plenty of opportunity to do things. I had a resident tell me that medical school doesn't really start until 3rd year which I've come to realize is pretty true. 

2 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

it depends on the social clique you join. There are certain groups of people in the class that will hit the bars or clubs 1-2x a week, once on Monday (we have Tuesdays off), and once on Friday. There are also house parties almost every week. I don't know what other schools are like but I would say we're a pretty outgoing bunch especially because of our 4 day schedule (maybe an unintended consequence from the admin's POV ha).

(in my experience) When you start med school things are going to be overwhelming, but after a few months it will be a breeze and you will have a lot of free time, so there's plenty of opportunity to do things. I had a resident tell me that medical school doesn't really start until 3rd year which I've come to realize is pretty true. 

Same with us, there are those that like to go out, a few that reallllly like to go out, and those that don’t at all and do other things. Just depends on what you like find your clique (it can be like high school all over again which is so unrealistic to real life but that’s just another talk for another day), and you will be alright. Hitting that wall already and still one more month to go :(.

London is a great student city. The area around the University is quite nice, and Richmond row really caters to students throughout the regular school year. There is a decent mall (Masonville) that is close to the University also!   I would say that the student experience at Western is also top notch. I loved my undergrad there, and I know that most of my friends did as well. 

Some would say that parts of the city are a bit rundown/rough – this is true, but as a University student you never have any need to go to them. 

18 minutes ago, FrannieLydon said:

London is a great student city. The area around the University is quite nice, and Richmond row really caters to students throughout the regular school year. There is a decent mall (Masonville) that is close to the University also!   I would say that the student experience at Western is also top notch. I loved my undergrad there, and I know that most of my friends did as well. 

Some would say that parts of the city are a bit rundown/rough – this is true, but as a University student you never have any need to go to them. 

Would you say you need a car for groceries etc? I can't drive yet lol... i was planning on getting my license in March but corona hit.

27 minutes ago, rawshrimp said:

Would you say you need a car for groceries etc? I can't drive yet lol... i was planning on getting my license in March but corona hit.

Having a car/driving for groceries is definitely most convenient... however it’s not the end of the world.  There are places that you can live that are close to the grocery store and you could always take the LTC or Uber.  

I hated London.  I liked Western as a university - it's a nice, friendly culture at Schulich and things were pretty well organized.  Hated the city.  The food is largely bad, there weren't good take out options near me (huge quality of life issue for me) and as a queer woman I actually had significant experiences of homophobia/heterosexism repeatedly (which has stopped happening now that I've moved to Toronto).  I found it to be not very diverse as a city, and just generally not a lot to do.

That said, I lived there and do not have a driver's license.  I made sure to live on a major bus route that went to the hospital and also near a grocery store.  I also did a lot of commuting by bike - but I think I could have managed with just bus, you just need to pick your area correctly.  Since the rent is so low, that's not as much of an issue as in downtown Toronto, for example.

2 hours ago, rawshrimp said:

I never got a car for the full 4 years. It is like anywhere else - nice to have, but if you live near the campus and thus most stores it wasn't necessary. 

1 hour ago, ellorie said:

I hated London.  I liked Western as a university - it's a nice, friendly culture at Schulich and things were pretty well organized.  Hated the city.  The food is largely bad, there weren't good take out options near me (huge quality of life issue for me) and as a queer woman I actually had significant experiences of homophobia/heterosexism repeatedly (which has stopped happening now that I've moved to Toronto).  I found it to be not very diverse as a city, and just generally not a lot to do.

That said, I lived there and do not have a driver's license.  I made sure to live on a major bus route that went to the hospital and also near a grocery store.  I also did a lot of commuting by bike - but I think I could have managed with just bus, you just need to pick your area correctly.  Since the rent is so low, that's not as much of an issue as in downtown Toronto, for example.

well yikes - sorry it was like that for you! Four years can be a long time to live in a place you don't like (let alone hate).  

It is true it is not very diverse relatively speaking, which I did find a bit odd because I am from a much smaller city which was yet much more diverse (although a large university in a smaller city tends to do that I suppose. I like university cities - they change the landscape in so many positive ways). 

Even though I was there for so long, I probably didn't really explore the city much. I was almost always focused at the school or on related activities. 

• hijkl changed the title to .